It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2008, 08:48 AM   #1
(female)

legaleagle01 HB User
Horrible smell from my nose

I have allergies and I am taking antihistamines and decongestants to treat them but nothings seems to work. I also rinse my nose with baking soda, peroxide, and salt every 2-4 hours but nothing helps. Without the anithitamie things are 10 times worse but they never completely go away with treatment. I've had a CT scan and it shows sinusitis in the maxillary area but that's it, drainage seems to be fine. My allergies are very bad I have flare-ups with very little allergen but I can't stop the problem. My eyes get bloodshot red and then the dripping starts and the smell from my nose begins. I had antibiotics about 4-5 times this year so far and it never helps me at all. I know it's allergy related PND but I don't understnad why the treatment that seems to work for everyone else does not work for me.

I take two antihistamines daily Zyrtec and Claritin. The decongestant that I take is Clarinex-D.

Any thoughts?

Old 11-10-2008, 05:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User
Re: Horrible smell from my nose

You aren't alone. I have severe allergies and am taking allegra, sudefed, benadryl, cough syrup, cough drops, and neti pot treatments. I STILL have post nasal drip and a nagging cough, not deep just a drip cough..tickle cough... and then I have the congestion too. I just hate it and I am completely miserable right now and feel so alone in this. I just finished some Biaxin too...I don't even know if I had a sinus infection. It may just be allergies. So maybe we all have to tough it out until the ground is covered in 3 feet of snow and kills all that junk outside. I am right there with ya!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2008, 06:43 AM   #3
(female)

legaleagle01 HB User

Do you have allergies? I was never allergic to anything until 2 years ago when my life changed. My nose began to run all the time and I started having sinus infections every few weeks. I was finally tested for allergies and I have them: Ragweed, fungus, mold and they are uncontrollable. The bad smell comes from my nose running constantly. I take antihistamines, decongestants, Nasalcrom, Nasonex, and Atrovent everyday and nothing helps the smell. It gets better but it never goes away. I am so feed up-I just wish this was over. It's ruined my quality of life. I really had a great life until this happened and for 2 years I've tried everything but nothing helps.

I tried allergy shots for 6 mos and no help with the nasal dripping at all. I plan to start them again tomorrow. The atrovent helps a little because it cuts down on the amount of mucus but very little, my nose still smells horrible, which in turn makes my throat smell horrible. It's crazy for me to think that allergies can affect your life so negatively, I'd rather have diabetes, or some other disease at least it controllable with meds.

The only other peson I know who suffers as much as I do is my mother she's been sick with allergies since her mid-20's as well and its ruined her quality of life as well. It's horrible, shes shys away from social events and people because of the smell that collects--she's all but given up on a cure but I still foolishly think its possible to be normal again.

Nothing I do helps. I perform nasal rinising at least 6-8 times a day it doesn't help at all. If I can stop the reation that would be the cure but nothing works. I've seen at least 15 ENT's and none of their patients have it this bad where they experience bad nasal smells, and bad breath. I just wish I could find a doctor and treatment that could give me my life back!

Old 11-11-2008, 01:55 PM   #4
(female)

bebe1983 HB User

ive been on the shots since i was 8. ive done all the treatments. everything worked in the beginning, but it's all lost it's magical effects. my headaches are so bad, it's gotten to the point where tylenol or motrin cant cut it.

i think using all of these drugs have made my allergies and sinuses worse. im going to start getting accupuncture because it looks promising and is very safe and natural.

i irrigate too, but nothing rinses out. this condition has made me extremely depressed and is keeping me from enjoying things i love. nowadays u have to be your own doctor to cure yourself.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:13 PM   #5
(female)

hpatrice HB User

I have a sinus problem, not nasal drainage but a complicated case with a lot of other problems.

What I do know is that I had a horrible smell in my nose, not a good place for a bad smell! I did also have a bad taste in my mouth, sore throat for about a year and no Dr. knew what was wrong. Recently my dentist gave me chlorhexidine gluconate, it's a rx mouthwash and within a week the bad smell, sore throat and bad taste were gone. He still has no idea what was wrong but I am glad at least it worked!

Not sure if this relates to you guys but wanted to share in case it would help!

hpatrice

Old 11-12-2008, 12:18 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Well it's 2 am here and the morning of my birthday and I am up in the night with a post nasal drip cough that I can't seem to control. I took cough syrup, Benadryl and cough drops and I can hope and pray I will fall asleep. I tried 3 times and then the goop run down my throat, tickles me and wakes me up with a coughing attack. I want to cry. My husband woke up to me coughing and asked if I wanted to go to the ER. Not sure what all they can do for me. I am going to the doc tomorrow anyway to see if I need more antibiotics or any other meds they can give me. I just feel all alone with this in the middle of the night.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:40 AM   #7
(female)

legaleagle01 HB User

Hpatrice and Bebe,

Thank you both for suggestions, I will certainly try the mouthwash it can't hurt that's for certain. I broke down and decided to try allergen block today and so far it seems okay as if it works alittle but I plan to give it a week before I give up or think I am cured. I've seen a few commercial ads about it and I search it on-line and saw that its suppose to help so why not. So far the dripping seems better but again I've thought everything would work and so far I am still sick so whatever.

You guys should give it a try as well and see if it helps. It's 17.00 bucks from any pharmacy department.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:12 PM   #8
(male)

mr silkk HB User

Hi legalegal01,

Im a newbie here and i just want to say that I was going through the same thing but with other symptoms.Have you considered getting a candida(yeast infection)test done, I know I use to go to the Doc all the time and they could never fix my problem it was all in my head so they tell me, but that' another story

Last edited by moderator2; 12-10-2009 at 08:40 PM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

Old 12-15-2009, 11:42 AM   #9
(male)

Chucklehead HB User

Have you ever tried nasal irrigation? Sounds, umm, interesting I know. I swear by my neti pot and use it regularly, even when I'm not feeling sick.
Best of luck.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:17 AM   #10
(male)

booger36 HB User

Be careful taking antibiotics. Sometimes they can do more harm than good.

Closed Thread