It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2008, 01:32 AM   #1
(male)

edkw HB User
why am i sick from cigarette smoke

why am i sick from cigarette smoke

Old 11-28-2008, 05:16 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: why am i sick from cigarette smoke

I would assume because you are allergic to it but your question really doesn't give enough information.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2008, 02:41 PM   #3
(male)

edkw HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
I would assume because you are allergic to it but your question really doesn't give enough information.
yes, I agree I did not give enough info. About 15-20 years ago I was a sales person and I would sell store to store and i would average 3 1/2 packs a day. of course, some I only smoked from one store to the next and then fling them away but I was still smoking a lot. I quit- To never smoke again and now if I am around cigarette smoke while eating, my tube from my throut to my stomach will shut off and no food or even liquid will go down. Then what happens is I will have to run to the john and throw up whatever is in that tube. Everything is just stuck there and only time away from the smoke envirement will relax that area and once again I can swallow. One doctor, while not giving me a soultion to the problem did say that it is quite common for a past smoker to become alergic to cigarette smoke...

Old 11-28-2008, 04:33 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

You were probably allergic to it then but you became desensitized to it thru using it. The same way they give you an injection of what you are allergic to in order to build antibodies against it so that your are no longer allegic. That's what allergy shots do. So, I'd take a zyrtec or allegra before going out somewhere that you know people will be smoking.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:25 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User

I agree with Titchou.

Chances are likely that you're probably allergic to cigarette smoke. As recommended, Zyrtec or Allegra should help.

I happen to take Fexofenadine (Allegra generic) for my cigarette smoke allergies (which cause migraines) and it works great.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Old 12-08-2008, 02:02 PM   #6
(male)

edkw HB User

I am not sure everyone understands about my allergy with cigarette smoke. It has been suggested to take ZYRTEC but that is for: "Zyrtec is used to prevent or treat symptoms of hay fever and to treat cold or allergy symptoms such as sneezing, itching, watery eyes, or runny nose." I don not have those symptoms; my problems is my escoghys (I am sure it is spelled wrong) closes on me. When I am around smoke, I can not swollow, not even water goes down. My own sylvia builds up in the tube and I have to throw up everything. If I don't, I become dizzy and faint to the point of fear of passing out. I don't believe it is a mental issue. I become very ill and have to lie down and attempt to relax so my releases the tension on that tube to my stomach. It is very real and painfull.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:45 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Take the zyrtec. It will help. I get huge headaches from my smoke allergy. It helps with it and headache isn't listed either - it says "such as". THat is not all inclusive.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:00 PM   #8
(female)

caangelxox HB User

stay away from it. You have rights to do that. You either choose to hang around it or not. If you have to be in an area where some rude person (I call all smokers that smoke around other people, especially without asking RUDE) is smoking, you have rights to ask them nicely to go somewhere else and smoke or stop smoking. You are alergic/have allergy to it, you have rights. Don't be afraid to say something. A lot of people are afraid and they don't complain, so the rude smokers think they are ok to smoke where they are smoking. Someone like me would be open and ask "Can you smoke somewhere else please" and if someone walked by smoking a cigerette and I smelled it, I would be like "excuse me" or "that is rude".

Old 12-09-2008, 05:43 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

If I were you, I'd take the Zyrtec.

I also have severe allergies to cigarette smoke, cigar smoke, colognes and perfumes which cause sneezing, congestion, migraines and difficulty breathing.

Zyrtec worked great for me.

Unfortunately, my insurance would no longer pay for it, so I was switched to Fexofenadine (Allegra generic).

Again, I'd give the Zyrtec a try. It certainly can't hurt.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 12-09-2008, 09:56 AM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

Zyrtec is now OTC....around $16 for 45 at WalMart...and you can buy it from Canada for $25, inlcuding shipping, for 90.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:37 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Zyrtec is now OTC....around $16 for 45 at WalMart...and you can buy it from Canada for $25, inlcuding shipping, for 90.
That's right. I believe that Walgreen's also sells Zyrtec OTC. Thanks for mentioning this, Titchou. I'm definitely going to switch over to Zyrtec from Fexofenadine -- especially since Zyrtec was more effective for me.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 12-12-2008, 11:44 AM   #12
(female)

Ginger9909 HB User

do you have asthma? you are saying your throat closes

Closed Thread