It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2008, 11:50 PM   #1
(male)

mrt7777 HB User
How Bad can Allergies make me feel?

I was back and forth to DRs over the whole summer because I was very light headed. (Brain Fog) Blurred vision, eye floaters, bad skin, just feeling like crap.

Every test came back fine.

The the DR sent me to get my Allergies tested, They found I was +4 on Ragweed, Grass, and both kinds of dust mites. I guess thats as bad as it gets.

I started feeling kinda bad about 10 years ago. Nothing real bad, just a little light headed, and eye floaters.

But the thing is I clean carpet for a living, and I'm around dusty vacuums all the time.

Can untreaded Allergies make me feel this bad? I dont have a stuffed nose, or red eyes. I dont have the classic sings of Allergies. Just the really bad light headedness.

Thanks.

Old 12-09-2008, 04:51 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: How Bad can Allergies make me feel?

Yes, you do hav the classic signs...just not the nes you think are them! Are you on an antihistamine? Are you going to take the injections? What are you doing for treatment? Thos allergies generally respond very well to treatment.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2008, 05:35 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User

Hello,

I have year round allergies to cigarette/cigar smoke, dust, pollen, ragweed, grass, perfumes/cologne and some types of food.

Like you, my allergies test in the high range and make me feel lightheaded, have eye floaters, a stuffy or runny nose, a headache, severe migraine or make me cough and sneeze.

I take Fexofenadine (Allegra generic) and it works pretty well in controlling my allergies. Before that, I used to take Zyrtec which also worked great, but unfortunately my insurance would no longer pay for it.

I would ask your allergist (if you see one) or your doctor if they could place you on an anitihistamine which will help improve your allergy symptoms and make you feel a little better.

Hope this helps.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Old 12-09-2008, 08:11 PM   #4
(male)

mrt7777 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams in neon View Post
Hello,

I have year round allergies to cigarette/cigar smoke, dust, pollen, ragweed, grass, perfumes/cologne and some types of food.

Like you, my allergies test in the high range and make me feel lightheaded, have eye floaters, a stuffy or runny nose, a headache, severe migraine or make me cough and sneeze.

I take Fexofenadine (Allegra generic) and it works pretty well in controlling my allergies. Before that, I used to take Zyrtec which also worked great, but unfortunately my insurance would no longer pay for it.

I would ask your allergist (if you see one) or your doctor if they could place you on an anitihistamine which will help improve your allergy symptoms and make you feel a little better.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, The allergist I went to put me on some kinda nose spray, and told me to get over the counter antihistamine.... and also said that that the headaches and brain fog I am getting is NOT from my allergies????

So I did, this was about 3 weeks, I feel the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Yes, you do hav the classic signs...just not the nes you think are them! Are you on an antihistamine? Are you going to take the injections? What are you doing for treatment? Thos allergies generally respond very well to treatment.
I am going to get the shots in january..

Old 12-09-2008, 11:06 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

roses4lace HB User

I get brain fog from allergies. Worst case is gluten/wheat products, though other things do it too (not sure what). For most of my working life, I would not eat until late in the day, because more times than not after eating, I couldn't focus any more. So the complex work had to be done in the morning. Allergy shots won't treat everything. There are threads on this site about using a neti pot, or the squirt bottles, to send saline water through the nasal passages. That helps me greatly, especially when I've been in dust or walking outside. I use mine every morning, and any evening when I've been in "bad air". Whatever that odor is on dry leaves is my worst allergy; when I was younger and untreated, every year, it put me in bed for two weeks and made me miserable for two months.

Earlier this year I had an allergic reaction so bad it made me so tired and weak I couldn't even walk to my mailbox for almost a week. Stayed in bed several days. Earlier this month I felt the leaf dust allergy coming on, then I picked up a cold, and the whole thing turned into an infection. Was in bed the week of Thanksgiving. Still haven't fully recouperated from that, and got in leaf dust again today. Darn it.

Allergies can cause almost every symptom known to man. There are allergists that call themselves "environmental allergists" who seem to have more training than most. Some allergists tests don't show positive, when another one's does, tests are interpreted differently, some don't believe in food allergies, some aren't aware of the wide range of symptoms that allergies can cause. If MY allergist said my headaches and brain fog weren't from allergies, knowing that I worked around dust all the time, I'd run fast to a different doctor.

Last edited by roses4lace; 12-09-2008 at 11:11 PM.

Old 12-10-2008, 02:32 PM   #6
(female)

LadyPanther HB User

Until I went on medicine for my allergies, I was sick all the time!

Old 12-11-2008, 12:29 AM   #7
(male)

mrt7777 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by roses4lace View Post
I get brain fog from allergies. Worst case is gluten/wheat products, though other things do it too (not sure what). For most of my working life, I would not eat until late in the day, because more times than not after eating, I couldn't focus any more. So the complex work had to be done in the morning. Allergy shots won't treat everything. There are threads on this site about using a neti pot, or the squirt bottles, to send saline water through the nasal passages. That helps me greatly, especially when I've been in dust or walking outside. I use mine every morning, and any evening when I've been in "bad air". Whatever that odor is on dry leaves is my worst allergy; when I was younger and untreated, every year, it put me in bed for two weeks and made me miserable for two months.

Earlier this year I had an allergic reaction so bad it made me so tired and weak I couldn't even walk to my mailbox for almost a week. Stayed in bed several days. Earlier this month I felt the leaf dust allergy coming on, then I picked up a cold, and the whole thing turned into an infection. Was in bed the week of Thanksgiving. Still haven't fully recouperated from that, and got in leaf dust again today. Darn it.

Allergies can cause almost every symptom known to man. There are allergists that call themselves "environmental allergists" who seem to have more training than most. Some allergists tests don't show positive, when another one's does, tests are interpreted differently, some don't believe in food allergies, some aren't aware of the wide range of symptoms that allergies can cause. If MY allergist said my headaches and brain fog weren't from allergies, knowing that I worked around dust all the time, I'd run fast to a different doctor.
WOW! it sounds like you have it bad.

But I feel very much the same way you do.

I have Kaiser as my health plan
The allergists said I had a headache disorder. Thats why I was getting headaches.

I just dont know what to do. This "brain fog" NEVER goes away. Ive had it for over 8 months now... anxiety is starting to set in now..

I wish I could go to a real DR

Old 12-11-2008, 08:00 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User

i'm getting ready to start allergy shots in a week or two. It is about the last thing left for me to try. I don't have any dramatic reaction.. just subtle ones that i am hoping are my fatigue and brain fog feeling. The doc didn't rate my reaction.. but i didn't react to the scratch test on my back only when they injected the allergen under my skin.. to trees, grass, ragweed and dogs. I've always been on zyrtec, allegra, the old seldane that was taken off the market, nasonex or rhinocort. I've been using a neti pot for a year now.. it definitely helps

good luck!

Closed Thread