It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2008, 10:27 AM   #1
(female)

onemarinemom06 HB User
how do i rid my house of dog dander?

I do not own a dog as I know I have allergies to the dander. However, my stepdaughters live with thier mother who owns a pameranian. I believe they are bringing the dogs dander with them when they come to visit. How do i rid my house of dog dander between times to ease my suffering?

Old 12-10-2008, 02:31 PM   #2
(female)

LadyPanther HB User
Re: how do i rid my house of dog dander

Not sure if this helps but vacuum and maybe get an air cleaner?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2008, 06:13 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

That's a tough one too! I just went to a ladies house ( removed ) this afternoon. She has 2 cats and 1 dog. I am allergic to both. I should have taken my allergy meds before going in. I was there an hour and after I got home clear into the evening I have become completely congested, sneezing etc...I had to peel off all my clothes and wash them. The hairs and dander must have stuck to them. And my massage equipment. It's awful. I don't know what to tell you. I would get air purifiers, vaccum wash their clothes, and if it's real bad... wow I am not sure what you would do. Good luck! I understand!

Last edited by moderator2; 12-10-2008 at 06:33 PM. Reason: please read the posting rules - you can't post that information about yourself here

Old 12-10-2008, 06:39 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

esker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB User

Buy clothes for the kids to wear only at your house. Let's call them the "indoor" clothes. Have the kids change into the "indoor" clothes when they arrive, and put the "outside" clothes directly into the wash. Change them back into the "outside" clothes when they leave.

Old 12-20-2008, 05:33 PM   #5
(female)

Sugarmesweet HB User

I have the same issue. I found out from a dog groomer that these dogs dander/protein can be more concentrated. My parents have a dog and anytime my son goes to their home I have him change his clothes including socks in the doorway, put the clothes in the clothes washer or bag it and put it outside until it can be washed. He then proceeds to take a hot shower to rid his hair of the dander. One time we skipped the shower and the rest didn’t help.
1. Keep a set of the girl’s clothes at your house including set of shoes…as the dander sticks to their socks and then to their shoes.
2. I usually wash walls; vacuum, vacuum, wipe everything down walls, doors, door handles, door jams, mop, vacuum at least 5 times over and wash everything doilies, blankets, pillows, sheets. I cover the carpet in his room with sheets or drop clothes and wash them when he leaves. If you or hour husband pickup the girls with your vehicle, it will be important to clean your vehicle as well.

A guest who has cats was in my house...I vacuum furniture/carpets everyday for 3 weeks, washed my cupboard 7 times, washed walls twice, dusted everything everyday before it got back to normal again.

Dread the idea of company, feel total isolated.
-bubble girl without a bubble

Old 12-21-2008, 02:18 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Try taking a zyrtec before they come over.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:25 PM   #7
(female)

Sugarmesweet HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Try taking a zyrtec before they come over.
THe only thing they leave the dander in your home where it bothers you for weeks/months. Had a sinus infection for 6 months one year.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:40 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarmesweet View Post
THe only thing they leave the dander in your home where it bothers you for weeks/months. Had a sinus infection for 6 months one year.
Well, I assumed she would clean after they left.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:18 AM   #9
(female)

Sugarmesweet HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Well, I assumed she would clean after they left.
My house is the cleanest I know of...I vacuum, mop the floor, clean my kitchen & bathroom sink, clean my shower stall, make my bed DAILY before I go to work. (it's a small house) I kicked it up by washing walls & my cupboards, my curtains, doilys changed my 1250 furnance fitler and it still took 3 wks to rid my house of cat dander. I got a HPEA air filter; but the fan blow the air out so forcefully that I don't think it sucked an dander because it didn't help.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:43 AM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

Re: how do i rid my house of dog dander?

Sometimes it is difficult to "get ahead" of the reactions if you don't start taking something prophylactically. I suppose injections weren't an option?

Old 01-24-2009, 09:57 AM   #11
(female)

onemarinemom06 HB User
Re: how do i rid my house of dog dander?

Thank you ladies for all your suggestions! It has taken me awhile but I think we are finally ahead of the dander now! Air cleaners seemed to help somewhat, but it wasn't enough as I was still miserable. My vacuum cleaner however has gotten quite the workout! And it seems to work, which for me is great! I still find I can't go into their room, but for a quick trip to put clean laundry in there but they do attempt to clean it themselves. Thanks again for all your suggestions!

Closed Thread