It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2008, 07:14 AM   #1
(female)

idreamofsilence HB User
Nasal Issues and Dry Mouth

So, I have had allergies all my life. I used to get allergy shots. I had to stop getting them years ago because my moms health insurance ran out. I have to wait to get my insurance cards in the mail so I can go to an allergist and have all of my allergies sorted out again.

One problem I cannot escape is night times nasal clogging and mouth breathing. My mouth is so dry I wake up multiple times during the night because I feel like Im choking its so dry. My nose is clogged to where I cant breathe in or out and its dry. I can drink water (which I do all day) and it still doesnt work. I dont drink alcohol, caffiene or sugary beverages. I dont eat junk food or sweets. Im vegetarian and I actually can say I went back to being vegan again because I tried dairy for 2 months and got sick from it. I dont smoke either.

Anyone else have problems like this with their nose and dry mouth? I was on veramist but that actually made it worse. I tried nasocort and that doesnt work. I used to take flonase but I no longer take it because I actually have to wait to get a prescription card to get my nasal stuff. That still didnt stop me from having this issue.

When I was 7 I had my athnoids taken out because of the nasal blockage. Also I have been having swooshing in my ear and popping in my ears for the passed 2 weeks or so.

I do take lexapro and that causes dry mouth, but I take it early in the morning so I dont know why it would effect me at 10-11 pm after a whole day of drinking water and eating well.

Is it because of moisture in the air? Poor air circulation??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2008, 11:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User
Re: Nasal Issues and Dry Mouth

I would definitely add a humidifier in your bedroom. Have you ever used a neti pot or sinurinse bottle? that will help moisturize and wash away any allergens. Do you take any decongestants? not sure if you can with the lexapro, worth asking your doctor or pharmacist

Old 12-17-2008, 12:38 PM   #3
(female)

idreamofsilence HB User

Decongestants never worked for me. I have a neti pot at home and I was trying to use it but I was pretty bad at it. It would come out of my mouth instead of the opposite side of my nose. I used saline spray but it didnt help. I think a humidifier would do me some good.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User

try the neti pot again. There are videos online that you can watch to make sure you are tipping your head right. The humidifier really helped me. I have one in my living room where i spend most of my time and another one in my bedroom at night. I also use about 1/4 teaspoon of glycerin, it helps iwth the moisture also... Xlear nasal wash works better for me as far as sprays. It lasts longer.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:21 AM   #5
(female)

idreamofsilence HB User

I tried xclear and I didnt like it at all. It made me feel like I got tons of water in my nose from a swimming pool or something. The humidifier I am going to try and I will continue to use my neti pot. Thanks for the suggestions. They help a lot!

Old 12-18-2008, 07:54 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User

were you using the xlear it just as a nasal spray?

Old 12-19-2008, 04:58 AM   #7
(female)

idreamofsilence HB User

Yes the nasal spray. I am using my neti pot but I think my sinuses are just so blocked that it wont work. I have to go to the doc and see what is going on this is annoying!

Old 12-19-2008, 05:20 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User

i would go to a ENT, not just your regular doc.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:50 AM   #9
(female)

idreamofsilence HB User

Yeah, thanks. I found a doctor in the area for that and I am also going to the allergist as well because I havent gone to one in years and I used to get shots and everything and did well. So crazy. I have been using the neti pot, but my sinuses are so congested that nothing comes out of either side. Actually the other day water streamed out of one side and that was the only time it did it. Now my nose is so congested again. My ears are clogged. I think I may have a sinus infection. Its hard to swallow now too because everything is so clogged up. Ugh!!!!

Old 01-01-2009, 08:28 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User

when i'm that plugged, i will some times add 1/2 a capful of peroxide to the neti pot solution.

Closed Thread