It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2008, 09:25 AM   #1
(male)

anosviejo HB User
doctors who specialize in chemical allergens

I am in need of medical assistance for my chemical allergies, I.E.: Glade air freshener, furniture polish, nail polish & remover, perfumes, etc.

My wife constantly uses these household cleaners, and my complaining about these smells does not reach her, she does not suffer from these chemical aromas, so she cannot relate to my complaints, about purchasing and using these products. I live in Nassau County, New York

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2008, 01:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: doctors who specialize in chemical allergens

You can try seeing an allergist but they will most likely tell you that there is nothing they can do for your situation. What you're describing isn't actually an allergy, it's a chemical sensitivity that can't be treated the way allergies are (with antihistamines and allergy shots).

The best way to deal with chemical sensitivities is avoidance (so convincing your wife it's an issue will be important).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2008, 10:01 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Perhaps if you went with her to purchase the cleaning products, you could find ones that don't bother you as much. There are fragrance free ones, ones that have "cleaner" smells, etc. I had to hunt around for ones that don't bother me.

Also, you might gift her with a year of manicures so she wouldn't be using nail polish remover or polish at home.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:58 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

I have the same type of allergy that you do and it is called vasamotor rhinitis, so chemicals, perfumes, new rug, cleaners of all sorts can send me to the moon and I can lose all my strength as well as have my lungs fill up when around them. Am sorry your wife will not work around your problem, but until she does, you will not fell any better and she is playing with fire. You just may end of in a hospital!!!

Old 12-27-2008, 01:40 PM   #5
(female)

jacksinn HB User

WOW! Glad to hear there is a name for this. the people I work with spray cheap body spray on these people and at times I have to wait to go in the rooms because I cant breathe and if its too strong I vomit. It is very difficult to make people understand who dont have this problem. Febreze air effects doesnt bother me and I make my own multipurpose cleaner because the cleaners from the store bother me so much.

Last edited by Administrator; 02-02-2010 at 08:52 PM.

Old 12-28-2008, 11:25 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

Can't you get a letter from a dr. stating your problem and present it to the head of the place where you work.

You are correct: people who don't have this condition, haven't a clue as to what an inconvenience it is to live with. You go to a party and you have to back away from people who have this junk on; you walk into a place with new rug and you have to get out and the list goes on and on.

Last edited by Administrator; 02-02-2010 at 08:55 PM.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:31 PM   #7
(female)

Mystery Illness HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcsjr View Post
You can try seeing an allergist but they will most likely tell you that there is nothing they can do for your situation. What you're describing isn't actually an allergy, it's a chemical sensitivity that can't be treated the way allergies are (with antihistamines and allergy shots).

The best way to deal with chemical sensitivities is avoidance (so convincing your wife it's an issue will be important).

Closed Thread