It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2008, 01:57 PM   #1
(female)

CeCe66 HB User
i am allergic to cats but still have one. how do I keep from sneezing?

I am allergic to cats but can get used to the hair once I'm around them enough. Now I have an indoor/outdoor cat and I'm getting little itchy bumps all over my skin and can't stop sneezing, getting runny noses, itchy throat, itchy eyes, and my asthma has been acting up. What can i do?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-24-2008, 04:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: i am allergic to cats but still have one. how do I keep from sneezing?

There are a couple of things that you can do to help manage your cat allergies (other than getting rid of the cat).

First of all, get a couple of good HEPA room air filters (or check into a whole house filtering system) and keep them running all of the time. They will help get the cat dander - which is what you're reacting to - out of the air. I would also recommend limiting the cat's access to your bedroom, you need someplace in the house where your exposure is minimal, particularly if you spend 7-8 hours a night in that room.

Take an antihistamine EVERY day. I'd recommend Zyrtec (which is available as a generic - look for the active ingredient Cetirizine). Taking it every day will help keep the allergic reaction under control.

Finally, you might check into allergy shots. They won't help right away but over time may desensitize you to the cat dander.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-24-2008, 09:45 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

First of all you must decide which is more important, having a cat or having your health.

Best to keep the cat outside most of the time, limiting time in the house and only in a certain area. Keep that area cleane and vacumn every day. Wear a mask all the time.

My little grandson at birth was allergic to their cat and finally had to get rid of the cat. Took a while to determine the cause of the rapid, difficult breathing. It was terrifying taking care of a newborn with such breathing problems, all because of a cat.

Cat hair and flakes from skin become imbedded in furniture and very difficult to remove completely.

Taking Zyrtec will help some, however, the long term daily use might not be the best for your health either.

I always had cats, but, they lived outside and I lived inside.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:09 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

May I just add to what others have suggested...I have recently learned on Animal Planet that every person with allergies to pets are not necessarily allergic to all cats/dogs/or whatever. They say it isn't only the dander that is the problem but the saliva or bodily fluids of the animal. good luck.

Closed Thread