It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2008, 11:25 AM   #1
(female)

SarahS1976 HB User
Could I be allergic to alcohol??

Nearly everytime I drink alcohol, my face, neck and upper arms go very red and they burn. This happens within 5 minutes or so of me having my first mouthful. The heat lasts around half an hour and the redness an hour, even if I continue to drink alcohol or not. But this only happens with alcohol, nothing else.
Anyone got any ideas?
Sarah

Old 12-30-2008, 01:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Could I be allergic to alcohol??

Some people (mostly Asians) have this genetic thing where they metabolize alcohol differently. My husband's two brothers have the mild form, where they flush heavily. My husband has the severe form, where he becomes very ill with extremely high blood pressure after even one drink.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2008, 02:02 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

what kind of alcohol are you drinking? I think the dark stuff has something in it that may activate histamines.....(rum, whiskey, etc) as opposed to something clear like vodka

Old 12-31-2008, 12:22 AM   #4
(female)

SarahS1976 HB User

Thanx for you replies.

I'm white and 32 (if that matters) I drink smirnoff ice, vodka, and used to drink cider. I dont like whiskey or rum.

janewhite = So what is it exactly that happens to your husband?

Thanx
Sarah!

Old 12-31-2008, 03:55 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

you might try taking an antihistamine before drinking.

Old 12-31-2008, 06:42 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

The way he describes it? He loses all sense of balance. He's not the least bit dizzy, but then he turns his head and he's lying on the floor. He claims it's because his blood pressure goes so high his inner ear stops working. He popped a blood vessel in his cheek. There's absolutely no sense of intoxication, he just feels awful.

He's only had alcohol a handful of times in his life, all before he met me. The last time, when he figured out what was going on, some of the other people at the party thought maybe they should take him to the emergency room.

Unfortunately, they were all too drunk to get him there (Kids!). Fortunately, he got better.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:17 AM   #7
(female)

SarahS1976 HB User

HHHMMMM
It doesnt seem to be the same reaction as what I have.
I just get very hot and red on my face chest and arms. It really burns and its very very dark red but doesnt last all that long like i said.
Its just annoying for that first hour of the night lol

Closed Thread