It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2009, 10:10 PM   #1
(female)

Vuitton70 HB User
Severe allergic reaction

I spent New Years Day evening in the ER. I was going into anaphylactic shock and don't know if it was from the different brand of cornbread I ate or the Amoxicillin.

I have never had a reaction to any *cillin* form of antibiotics, and have taken them since I was a child. I was very sick a lot too.

I have had itchy mouth from eating cake batter and grits (both flour & corn were in my cornbread). The reaction started in my lips immediately after I ate the bread. I had been on Amox for 2.5 days w/ no reaction.

Back when I was 15 I had a similiar exp and we never found out what I was allergic to.

Any thoughts? I'm afraid to eat certain foods now & I can't take my antibiotics either (have a tooth that needs a root canal which is why I was taking meds.)

The only other new med I was taking would be Flonase. TIA

Old 01-03-2009, 04:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: Severe allergic reaction

Quote:
he reaction started in my lips immediately after I ate the bread. I had been on Amox for 2.5 days w/ no reaction.
If the reaction started in your mouth right after you ate the bread, the bread is the most likely culprit. Antibiotic reactions typically include hives (or some other kind of skin rash) and in severe cases difficulty breathing, but it's unlikely that an antibiotic reaction would start on your lips.

If you need to be on an antibiotic for your tooth they should be able to switch you to something from a different class of antibiotics until you get this sorted out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2009, 05:38 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Severe allergic reaction

I agree. The tipoff is that it started with the itchy mouth. And you can be tested for the amoxicillin allergy if you want to be sure about it.

Closed Thread