It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2009, 02:39 PM   #1
(female)

mm33 HB User
eyeshadow allergy

Can someone help me with suggesting an eyeshadow. I usually wear Almay or Physician's formula, but am for some reason having a reaction. I have also been using Almay clear somplexion concealer under my eyes to cover dark circles. I noticed this contains salicylic acid. Could this be the problem?

Last edited by mm33; 01-13-2009 at 02:46 PM.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:03 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: eyeshadow allergy

If you are wearing a pink or purple shade, it's the color that's the problem. I can only wear Prescriptives in those shades. Any others, even Almay and Clinique, will break me out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2009, 05:01 AM   #3
(female)

mm33 HB User

Thank you so much for your reply. I have also had this problem when I try to wear a red color. I usually don't wear purples. I am(was) a redhead with freckles. It is more of a brown/beige kind of shade. Could you please give me more information about your prescriptives. I am getting so disgusted.........the older I get I am allergic to everything. The dermatologist suggested I stopped wearing makeup....not an option. Growing up with freckles and red/blonde hair was traumatizing enough in the 70's when everyone was tan. My eyelashes and eyebrows are non existant without makeup, so right now I am hoping it is the eyeshadow. I am gluten intolerant as well and that is hard enough. I can't give up anything else. THANK YOU SO MUCH, I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY ADVICE ANYONE CAN GIVE.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:07 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User

if i remember right it is the nickel in them? My mom gets all rashy/scaly and has to use hydrocortisone cream for a few days. Now she just uses eye liner. Here are some things that i found in my search...

bismuth oxychloride, which is a natural mineral derived ingredient. It lends shimmer and a smoothness of texture. She could also have a sensitivity to a colorant, like carmine (natural red pigment) or the D&C dyes. Red pigment is used not only in red and pink colors, but in blue, purple, brown, black, peach, coral, some greens, and on and on. Pretty much the whole rainbow *possibly* could contain carmine.

another site i read that it is the red dyes which are in browns, red, purple, pink etc. Have you tried the new mineral eye shadows?

Old 01-14-2009, 05:54 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Prescriptives is a brand sold at most large department stores...Macy's, Belk, Dillard's, etc.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:17 AM   #6
(female)

mm33 HB User

Thanks so much. My town does not have these stores, but it will be worth the trip.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:08 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User

you can probably order online.. but if you do have one of the stores not too far away, maybe they would have samples or they could do your makeup for you. Do you break out right away?

No way i'm going with out makeup!

Old 01-16-2009, 11:02 AM   #8
(female)

mm33 HB User

The stores are not too far away, about an hour. This is not the first time I have broken out, but I am using Almay & Physician's formula. Getting frustrated............I, TOO, CANNOT GO WITHOUT MAKEUP. I would try dirt on my eyelids first. I usually break out fairly soon. One time, I had to get a cortisone shot in my hip. The doctor asked me if I was allergic to betadine. I said no, because I wasn't prior to.....the needle was still in me and I immediately had hives. Twelve years ago, when I smoked, I wasn't allergic to anything. Was I just used to toxins? Now it seems like everything. I simply cannot give up another thing...only thing worse than make up would be chocolate. Well, maybe not worse than. Getting a patch test done today, 50 patches on my back until Monday afternoon, wish me luck. I am in for an itchy weekend.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:19 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User

are they doing the skin pr*ck tests? or where they inject under the skin?

Old 01-16-2009, 05:45 PM   #10
(female)

mm33 HB User

They put 51 patches on my back. I go back on Monday to see which chemicals caused a reaction. So far, so good minimal itching and my back feels just a little warm. Hopefully it will stay this way. Tomorrow I shop for new eyeshadow. mm

Old 01-19-2009, 07:47 PM   #11
(female)

mm33 HB User

I got the results of my allergy tests they are as follows: Balsam of Peru, goldsodiumthiosulfate and Euxyl K400. I would appreciate any guidance anyone can give me. More confused then ever

Old 01-21-2009, 08:56 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

As far as Gold Soduim Thiosulfate goes, your immune system reacts with its defense mechanisms with each exposure of goldsodium thiosulfate to your skin. It is unknown why certain individuals develop allergic sensitivities. In some it may take repeat exposures over long periods of time before an allergy develops. Once you have become sensitized (allergic) your immune system always "remembers" and you will be goldsodium thiosulfate sensitive.

This chemical can fe found in pharmaceuticals (drugs), gold (jewelry and plating), coins, electrical, and dental materials.

I hope this helps.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:41 AM   #13
(female)

mm33 HB User

Does this mean I should not even wear my gold jewelry? What else do I need to do beside notify my dentist. Are there different levels of tolerance?
Thank you so much for your help.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:03 PM   #14
(female)

alphabetsoup HB User

When I hit my early 30s I started becoming sensitive to all kinds of things...from lotions to shampoos, soaps, food and makeup. My eyeshadows would make my eyelids swell, turn bright red/pink and scale like a sunburn! (Not to mention the pain and burning that went with it). Every foundation I tried made my face break out in itty bitty red dots.

I finally switched to all mineral make-up and it has done wonders for my skin. Although I learned that any red/brown shade of eyeshadow (pink is the worst) will irritate my eyelids still.

Good luck!

Old 02-14-2009, 04:25 PM   #15
(female)

mm33 HB User

Thanks for the info. I have found some makeup online at White Rabbit Beauty, and so far so good. I am going for additional patch testing using my own make up samples. Going fragrance free has also done wonders. I will def. check out the mineral wear.

Closed Thread