It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2009, 09:14 PM   #1
(female)

roothie HB User
I'm allergic to inversion, what can help?

I'm allergic to inversion, what can help?
I'm on an albuterol inhaler, and singulair. I don't have asthma, but with the pollution so bad I'm gasping for breath, when I go outside, or even simply eat. Yesterday I used at least 7 puffs of my inhaler. But I don't know what the doctor can do since its allergies not asthma. Any ideas?

Old 01-15-2009, 09:07 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: I'm allergic to inversion, what can help?

roothie,
Are you sure you are truly allergic to inversions? Inversions can cause breathing problems for anyone. For those who are young, old or who have lung or other health issues, the bad air can cause even more problems. Inversions can play havoc with asthma.

You've touched on a subject I have had tons of trouble with. I'm just north of you in Davis Co. I've really grown to HATE inversions. They make my life miserable. I have bad allergies and asthma. In fact, it was during the horrible inversion right before the Olympics that I found out I actually had asthma. Before that, the doctors kept telling me the cough was because of my allergy/sinus problems. My current doctors have explained to me that when the particles build in the air it can cause difficulty breathing (even before they have yellow or red air days). I try to keep my face covered every time I go out on days that the air is bad. I've even bought some of those medical type breath masks at time to try to keep my breathing under control. During the winter, keep weating a scarf. During the dry heavy summer days, I sometimes need masks.

Right now you aren't even at high yellow or red air quality days yet in your area. Things are supposed to get a lot worst in the next week. If you are using your Albuterol 3-4 times daily, your breathing isn't under control. If you are having this much trouble with breathing right now, you really should go back to your doctor, primary or a Pulmonologist. You really don't want things to get worse. When I've had trouble breathing that the Albuterol doesn't keep controlled, the doctors typically add an additional asthma med to get things under control. There are some good preventative medications that may help, such as Advair. Singulair helps some, but not as well when things are bad. Sometimes, it takes a short round of steroids to get things under control during the inversions. Living in the nasty air of the inversions is bad and things won't get better until they clear out which isn't anywhere in the forecast right now. Try to take some trips up into the mountains to get some fresh air until it clears. A nice trip to Park City makes me feel a bit better some times. For the next 10 days, if you stroll main street, you might even see some stars here for the film festival. Might be fun.

Below I've listed some early warning signs for asthma. Often these symptoms mimic allergy problems. PLEASE make sure you get some help before your breathing gets even worse. This is nothing to play around with.

Asthma Early Warning Signs
itchy chin
itchy or sore throat
dark under eye circles
stuffy, runny or congested nose
tiredness
mood change--grouchy or extra quiet
itchy, glassy or watery eyes
thirst
sneezing
stomach ache
headache
fever
restlessness
eczema flare-up
sweating
heartburn
change in face color- pale or flushed
throat clearing
restlessness
heart beating faster
trouble sleeping
yawning

Asthma flare-up or attack signs: wheezing, coughing, shortness of breath, etc... Not all asthma "attacks" involve wheezing.

Take care,
Mountain Reader

Last edited by MountainReader; 01-15-2009 at 09:23 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2009, 11:04 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Roothie,
How are you doing? I know I don't need to tell you this, but the air is officially now red and classified as unhealthy. Have you gone back to the docotor yet? Is your breathing getting any worse?

Old 01-20-2009, 11:22 AM   #4
(female)

roothie HB User

My breathing is quite horrible!
I'm wearing a scarf every time I go outside, and trying to stay inside as much as possible..
But thats really interesting about the early signs of Asthma. I've been having super bad stomachache's when I go outside, so bad I almost throw up, my eczema is getting worse, trouble sleeping, yawning, mood swings (I thought it was early PMS)
But I'm stubborn, and haven't gone to the doctor yet, I was hoping it would just magically disappear.
So I'm making an appointment soon. But it makes me feel a little better to know I'm not alone in this!
Thanks for all your help.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:45 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

You know, we currently have the dubious distinction of having the worst air in the country. Because this inversion is hanging around for so long, there isn't any good relief in sight from the dirty air trigger. Therefore, you will continue to have problems until you get treatment or the trigger goes away. The thing is, if it gets too bad, it may not even clear up immediately when the inversion is gone if your lungs are that inflamed. Please try to make your appointment for sooner rather than later.

Use your Albuterol about 15-20 minutes before going outside. I talked to my Pulmonologist about this a couple weeks ago and he agreed that it would be helpful. Two puffs when it is really bad. One puff when it isn't quite as bad.

Continue with a medical mask or thick scarf.

Don't hang outside any longer than you need to.

When in your car, remember to recirculate the air instead of bringing in the "fresh" air.

Take care. The end of this round is in sight....maybe....in the next week. There is actually a bit of snow possible later next week. The "storms" this week don't look like they will be strong enough to clear things out. We can be hopeful.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:57 PM   #6
(female)

roothie HB User

Well, I just got back from the doctor.
Apparently its all in my head!!!
Everything is normal, even a little better than normal for my age and weight and height.
I still have to get a chest x-ray, but according to the doctors I don't have asthma.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:12 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Even if you don't have asthma, you can still have trouble breathing in this goop. Don't discount that. That is why they tell us to avoid it. I'm glad it isn't that bad though and that you had it checked out.

Closed Thread