It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2009, 09:01 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User
Band-Aids/Medical Tape Allergy

Does anyone have a band-aid or medical tape allergy?
This is something that I recently developed. I am not sure if it is the latex or the chemicals in the glue. I am into natural/holtistic medicine, so this past year I have been removing my moles with apple cider vinegar at home and I use band-aids when they began to burn me suddenly. I will have red marks the shape of the band-aid for several days after use. I switched to medical tape and the same thing. I am thinking it may be more of the chemicals in the glue?

Any insight? What do you do? Were you ever tested in an office for this?

Old 01-21-2009, 06:45 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Band-Aids/Medical Tape Allergy

The allergic rash is called contact dermatitis. It could be an adhesive rash or a latex allergy.

I can relate. After a doc removed a mole on my neck, I had a bandage shaped rash for several weeks. I only had the bandage on for a couple hours.

I've developed allergies to the adhesive on all bandages and tapes. Last spring I had a "safe" bandage on overnight and I ended up with a bad rash for about 3 weeks that needed medical treatment because it had blistered so bad.

Paper tape and gauze is what my doctors recommend. I have the same problem with the paper tape. When possible, I now use gauze and come coban. THe surgical strips are iffy for me. Sometimes they are ok, others give me a rash. I recently had laproscopic surgery with 6 incisions. The strips on 3 gave me a rash with blisters but the others were ok.

There is a patch test that can be done for allergies if you request it. My doctors (allergy and PCP) said it wasn't worth it and just recommended I just avoid using them. Harder said than done though.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2009, 03:27 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I have good results with the paper non-allergenic tape and gauze. But bandaids of any kind will do it to me. It's the adhesive.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:44 PM   #4
(female)

BlueMolly2009 HB User

I just discovered I might have an allergic reaction to latex. I had a small boil on my neck and it popped. I put on one of those waterproof band aids. I took it off today and it left a red band aid type mark.
I went to see my gyno for another issue and I had him look at my neck, he said it looked like a latex allergy. He told me to just put antiseptics on it and take Benadryl.
I don't know if I should go to the ER or wait and talk to my GP tomorrow. I'm not too worried yet, but I have had a history of cellulitis and I don't want it to get worse.
My gyno said it's going to be swollen for a bit and it's going to be warm.
I am not in contact with latex daily, so why would I be allergic to latex? Could it be the adhesive in the band aid? Could it be just me pulling off the band aid, because the band aid was stuck to my skin?
I just don't know what to do now? I'm going to keep the band aids off, since the wound is now dry.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:50 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

I think it's the adhesive.. I have no problem with latex gloves. I have the same exact reaction. Started within the last 5 years. I now use the fabric, stretchy bandaids with good luck or I use gauze and paper tape.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:08 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

suggi HB User

Hi all -

I get a red swelling after even latex free bandaids are used...had patch testing done and found out I am allergic to carba mix. That is in rubber so nitrile and latex fall into that category. I only use vinyl gloves.

I can feel for you. I now use a liquid bandage from Canada which works great. The ones here in drug stores are terrible, burn like crazy and do not work. Band Aid liquid bandage used to use a different formula than they are using now and really worked. The new version just doesn't work.

If you do have a carba mix allergy be careful as rubber is in many things - scopes (colonoscopy, endoscopy, balloon test for the heart, etc. Can you imagine swelling up inside from the scope. My doc said it could happen so I have never had a colonoscopy as the brand scope my hospital uses has rubber in the bending part that goes inside you.

Closed Thread