It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2009, 03:55 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

CheerAngel HB User
Question Weird cough on and off...

Hi, I have this weird cough on and off. I get this feeling that something is stuck near my throat area and my chest feels congested/tight. So I cough trying to clear it but nothing comes up. I tend to cough and cough until sometimes I nearly throw up but still no productive cough.

I continue to cough and cough, finally there's the sound of phelgm. Did the cough caused the phelgm or was there actually phelgm already stuck deep inside my throat or lungs?

The doctor told me it's allergies but couldn't give a proper dx or what I'm allergic to. I had skin test before, but on different occasions, the test gave different results. I'm not sure if the nurse who did it is not experience enough of my immune system is just weird. The cough can happen anytime but most of the time it starts when I am awake. Anyone has such experience?

Old 01-25-2009, 04:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User
Re: Weird cough on and off...

here is something to consider... LPR. Here are some symptoms that i found

"If you have any of the following symptoms, you may have Laryngopharyngeal Reflux.

* Hoarseness
* Thick or too much mucous
* Chronic throat irritation
* Chronic throat clearing
* Heartburn
* Chronic cough
* Cough that wakes you from your sleep

What is Laryngopharyngeal Reflux (LPR)?

Acid is normally produced in the stomach. It is prevented from backing up or refluxing into your esophagus (or food pipe) and throat by a band of muscle at the entrance of the stomach known as the lower esophageal sphincter. If this band of muscle is not functioning well, you can have a backflow of acid into your esophagus and into your throat and voice box, this is called laryngopharyngeal reflux (LPR).

But I Don't Have heartburn?

Many people with LPR do not have symptoms of heartburn. Compared to the esophagus, the voice box and the back of the throat are significantly more sensitive to the affects of the acid on the surrounding tissues. Acid that passes quickly through the food pipe does not have a chance to irritate the area for too long. However, acid that pools in the throat and voice box will cause prolonged irritation resulting in the symptoms of LPR.

What are the symptoms?

The symptoms of laryngopharyngeal reflux can consist of a dry cough, chronic throat clearing and a sensation of something being stuck in the throat. Some people will also complain of heartburn, while others may have intermittent hoarseness or loss of voice. Another major symptom of LPR is "postnasal drip". The patients often have been told that their symptoms are abnormal nasal drainage or infections, however, this is rarely the cause of the irritation. In order for the "postnasal drip" to cause the complaints described, signs and symptoms of active nasal infection has to be present."

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2009, 02:02 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

I am glad you posted this. You are very accurate. This are acid reflux symptoms. I have both. This afternoon I started to react to something in the car. I am trying to figure out if it was something I ate, (a breadstick from fazoli's) or what. I started sneezing, I suddenly had alot of mucus in my throat. I just can't swallow it all. Then I begun coughing and clearning my throat. I just keep clearing it. I feel like I am having an allergic reaction to something. Or relux that started in from the breadstick and garlic. I can still breathe but I just get panicky. Just tons of mucus and constant clearning now.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:10 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User

I can only have dry breadsticks from fazolis! sucks! but any of those types of breadsticks.. if they have been basted or are soaked in the garlic butter...sets me off. I'm the same way with all frozen garlic bread and breadsticks. Not sure if it is the butter or the garlic.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:18 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Wow I had no idea that could be a trigger! But I am learning fast as I am writing down everything I eat and if I have symptoms. I have lost 12 pounds in the past couple of months. All due to acid reflux and my diet. As I am tuning in I can really pinpoint. I did go crazy this afternoon and downed 3 of those breadstix. They were loaded with butter and garlic! And ooh so good. But literally after the 3rd one I began sneezing and the mucus production started. I am going to assume since that is the only thing I ate that I am allergic to the butter and garlic. Who knows....they may have some other ingredients thrown in with that, that I don't know about. That is why I do try to cook at home and know exactly what is going into the food I consume.
Thanks for your help!

Old 01-28-2009, 02:43 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User

I'm fine with Olive Garden's breadsticks I don't get sinus type symptoms at least i don't think. I end up with the feeling of having something stuck in my throat and start belching/pressure. Mixing too much garlic with any tomato based meal usually sets me off. It is hit and miss though.. it might bother me one time and not another. Occasionally, if i'm eating lean cuisines several days a week. Sodium content can trigger things for me. Unconscious stress added to the food triggers...

Possibly in the frozen dinners/garlic bread it might be a preservative..

Old 01-28-2009, 08:19 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ya... well I figured out by early evening this was NOT a good choice. I had the really loaded breadsticks with butter and garlic and ate just half of the spagetti from fazolli's. I was tasting it coming back up my throat all evening. My body told me it was a no no.

Old 01-31-2009, 02:00 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

CheerAngel HB User

Thanks for the replies, I never heard of LPR only known about GERD. The symptoms are very similar to mine. I have been under a ENT doctor for my allergic rhinitis, and for the previous visit, I mentioned about these symptoms but he didn't say anything about LPR. He even did a scope through my nose and look at my throat.

I'm still having this 'something stuck in the throat' feeling, weird cough, breathlessness. Now it's almost a daily problem I'm facing with.

There were a couple of times my voice suddenly disappear due to something congested at my throat but after clearing my throat a couple of times, my voice slowly regain back to normal, although it's still a bit hoarse.

I'm currently now on daily nasal steroid sprays(4 sprays x 2 times a day) and also some antihistamines(take only as needed for allergies). Will any of those medications help?

Is LPR difficult to detect or diagnose?

Old 01-31-2009, 04:18 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User

I would try taking prilosec otc for a couple of weeks to see if your symptoms improve. Keep a food journal and write everything down.. you may find something that you feel worse after eating or drinking. Some doctors aren't aware of the connection of LPR/sinus. My doctor wasn't until I told him.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:33 PM   #10
(female)

agabrans HB User

I have this same issue. I feel like I have something stuck in my throat. I am always coughing or clearing my throat or trying to get the mucus out. I can't though. Tried medicine too. No heartburn issues. Is there any cure for post nasal drip?

Closed Thread