It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2009, 11:17 AM   #1
(female)

marcine26 HB User
allergy testing 7 y/o

Hi All,

My 7 year old is going for a "full panel" allergy testing at the end of March. I am not sure if I should tell her about it or not. She is a worrier and panics at the drop of a hat. Part of me wants to tell her so she knows whats is store but the other half of me wants to act like I had no idea. She is so vocal that she may scream and fight after the first round. It could turn embarassing fast. My son had it done at a different hospital when he was 1 1/2 and mainly wimpered with tears then he just hung out while we waited for reactions. But my daughter saw his back when they did this so I was thinking of reminding her what her brother went through.

The only thing I am not sure of is how they test. What kinds of testing can they do? the only one that I have experienced is the ***** or scratch test on the back.

Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2009, 12:19 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: allergy testing 7 y/o

Well, there are several so you need to call and ask exactly which tests they are doing: scatch test, patch test, blood test, etc and find out exactly what the one they are doing entails.

I would not suggest telling her beforehand. The end of March is too abstract for her to understand. She be nuts from now till then. Tell her the morning of the day that the testing is to be done and explain, in general terms, what they will do.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2009, 12:54 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

lovemybabyboys HB User
Re: allergy testing 7 y/o

I agree, i wouldn't tell her until the morning of. I have never had it done, so i can't say from personal experience. But my son had it done last year. At the time he was a little over 2. He was more upset that i had to hold him still than the actual scratch. The nurse did it to me with the negative one, and it only felt like a pencil poke. it really wasn't bad for him. It's the itchiness that is the rough part. But good luck. Hope all goes well, and that she does not have many allergies.

Closed Thread