It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2009, 12:18 PM   #1
(male)

spoonse HB User
ear swelling

Hi there i have a possible mould spore allergy although i'm not sure and am awaiting a test which is next week ,but for two years or so now i've been getting a swelling sensation in which feels like my eustachian tubes .

It started when i built a shed in my garden which was designed as a games room but after it was built i noticed a green powdery type mould on the walls and carpet and ever since then i have this ear trouble which is worse when i listen to music.

I wanted to ask if anyone has heard of this before and once the spores settle in your ears/tubes etc could it be an on going problem as i have had ears tested and they are fine but the problem is still there any ideas anybody?

Thanks Lloyd

Old 02-07-2009, 10:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User
Re: ear swelling

the swelling sensation is most likely an allergic reaction to the mold. Mold can raise outright Hell with people and an allergic reaction to it, can definitely effect your ears. Try acupuncture. It has done wonders for me and I am DEADLY allergic to mold. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2009, 11:13 AM   #3
(male)

spoonse HB User

thanks Danabarb,
i'm going for a skin test next week and once i know that the mould IS the cause then i can think about acuppuncture i'll try anything,have been looking at a device that apparently incinerates the airbourne spores so might look into that too,
cheers Lloyd

Old 02-08-2009, 04:57 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

Lloyd,

I forgot to tell you that if you go to an acupuncturist, he or she may try to sell you all sorts of herbs; believe me, you will not need them. Am glad I could be of some help and if you have any questions, feel free to ask. Good luck.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:54 AM   #5
(male)

spoonse HB User

Danabarb,
thanks for that info,i'll be on my guard.Can i ask you ,did you go for a few treatments of acupuncture or was it just the once?
And how has it benefited you,are you still allergic to mould or as it eased all your symptoms and made it all a bit more beareable for yourself?

regards
Lloyd

Old 02-09-2009, 09:59 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lloyd,

I cannot remember as to how many times I went for treatment when I first started acupuncture, but then I did not go for a long, long time and my allergies were driving me nuts to such an extent that my balance was thrown off, I couldn't think straight and my brain was all fogged up. The mds. told me it had something to do with my eyes not connecting to my brain or some such foolishness. However, I went to balance therapy for some time and the whole puzzle was not going together. I have always been a very athletic person and had more energy than God. When I saw that I was not getting any place with this balance therapy, I went back to the acupuncturist and after the first visit, I walked out MUCH straighter and my thinking was MUCH clearer. I think the acupuncture treatment throws one's body back on balance while the medical profession just pushes pills to bandage things when it comes to allergies. I have been fighting with allergies since 1985 and have found acupuncture to be the BEST treatment.

I have since found out that if you have the type of allergy I have, which is vasomotor rhinitis, when I am around anything that I am allergic to, it will set the whole vestibular system off and this includes blood flow through the veins and it can even effect my vision as well as balance. After going to the acupuncturist, my balance was much better as was my thinking.

To answer you other question: Yes, I am still highly allergic to mold and all chemicals like perfume, etc. and new rugs send me to the moon.

I hope this has been of some help and if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:19 PM   #7
(male)

spoonse HB User

Danabarb,
thanks for your reply and i'm sorry to hear about your allergies they must have been a real discomfort to say the least for you over all these years.
Mine started when i built an outhouse in the garden designed as a music room,mixing tracks etc which is my passion.I had just finished putting the place up,switched on all of my equiptment which i've been fine with for years and noticed something going on in my ears or tubes.
I thought at first it was a sound problem but then noticed just being in the room with no power on at all i was getting the reaction.Shortly after this i noticed a green powder fungus/mould growing up the walls of my new shed and then it clicked that something isn't right so i'm assuming that this is what i'm reacting to and its targeting my ears as they maybe a week spot i don't know.
I'm going for my testing tomorrow so fingers crossed they'll put me in the right direction.
Hope your symptoms are keeping at bay .

All the best Lloyd

Old 02-12-2009, 09:44 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Good luck on your testing, Lloyd. If you care to tell me, I would love to hear the results and what the dr. has to say.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:34 AM   #9
(male)

spoonse HB User

Thanks Danabarb,

I had my test on wednesday and they put twelve allergens into my skin,pollen,grass, moulds and a few food allergy thingys but to my suprise i only reacted to the pollen and grass which i know i'm allergic to as i get hayfever.

He asked me why i thought it was an allergic reaction in my ears and i said that i can't think of it being anything else as it only happens in certain places and there's plenty of the stuff visible in my outhouse ,so i even took a sample of it in but he was reluctant to put it into my skin.I don't blame him really it could have been anything i suppose.

So now i'm a little confused,does all mould have one ingredient in it that will make you react to it because as you know there are thousands of species so could i still be weak to a certain one...i don't know?Other than that i'm stumped what this sensation i'm getting is.

all the best

Lloyd

Old 02-13-2009, 09:50 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonse View Post
Thanks Danabarb,

I had my test on wednesday and they put twelve allergens into my skin,pollen,grass, moulds and a few food allergy thingys but to my suprise i only reacted to the pollen and grass which i know i'm allergic to as i get hayfever.

He asked me why i thought it was an allergic reaction in my ears and i said that i can't think of it being anything else as it only happens in certain places and there's plenty of the stuff visible in my outhouse ,so i even took a sample of it in but he was reluctant to put it into my skin.I don't blame him really it could have been anything i suppose.

So now i'm a little confused,does all mould have one ingredient in it that will make you react to it because as you know there are thousands of species so could i still be weak to a certain one...i don't know?Other than that i'm stumped what this sensation i'm getting is.

all the best

Lloyd

Old 02-13-2009, 10:02 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lloyd,

I cannot give you a definite answer to your question about mold. However, I have to tell you I don't like the sounds of your allergist's attitude. He should not be asking you why you thought something triggered a reaction; you should have asked him and he should have answered your question. That is why you are paying him. I have found that some drs. avoid answering questions, but I stand pat until I get an answer.

As I think I explained, allergies can effect your whole system. It is not just a case of the sneezes and runny nose because they can effect your whole body is more ways than one. I have had to find all of this out by myself, which does not please me, but I just chalk it up to experience.

Oh, I even had an eye dr. tell me that my vasomotor rhinits can effect my vision as well as my balance.

Good luck and ask me anything you wish; it bothers me that you have to go through all this frustration. Good communication between dr. and patient is VERY important. If you do not have it with the dr. who is treating you, go to another one.
Danabarb

Old 02-15-2009, 08:27 AM   #12
(male)

spoonse HB User

Thanks Danabarb for your useful info,

have been looking into this and the culprit may be an algea of some kind ,boy this is gonna take some time

I'll give you a shout when i get some sense out of it all

Best wishes

Lloyd

Old 02-15-2009, 09:38 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lloyd,

How are they going to find out if it is an algae of some kind; I am curious?

Old 02-16-2009, 09:58 AM   #14
(male)

spoonse HB User

Danabarb,hi,
there's a site called Wildaboutbritain,and i posted some photos of the substance in the building and a few experts on there are saying it looks like an algae as its blue/green and can have chemicals in it to cause allergies/sensetivities so i'm going to send a sample to them. It sounds like they're going to lab test it or analise it in some way.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:10 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks, Lloyd, and I will be interested in the outcome of those results. Do you think the owners of the building will do something about it if there is algae there? I hope so!!!
It is raining here is California and that drives my allergies NUTS, so it is a good thing I don't live in England or I would be on the bottle!!!!

Did I mention to you that new rugs can also kick up allergies?

Closed Thread