It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2009, 05:01 PM   #1
(female)

Rain820 HB User
Warm Mist Humidifer - Questions

I've had this on and off sinus thing since the end of November and it's driving me insane. Around December, I had my first bout of antibiotics. It went away, but came back the beginning of January. Got a 2nd set of anti-bs, and steroids to shink the sinuses, but I ddint' take that because it had a warning about not taking it if you have fungal infection in the body, which I do, on some toenailes (posted about that way back on these boards...) I don't think this is an virus or whatever, because the congestion is always clear, and that's supposedly allergy. Whats most annoying is I keep losing my sense of taste and smell.

Anyway, so now this week i'm all a congested mess again and I'm trying to do everything I can to calm my sinsuses down. I do frequent nasal rinses with a neti pot or just the store bought can. Drinking water/tea, etc. And I just bought myself one of these and have been using it the last few days. I'm not sure I feel any difference though, so Im wondering if it takes time to kick in, or should you feel better right away? Also, does it matter that I have a window cracked in the room? I do this because the house is very hot, and I can't lower the heat, my mom is 80 and in the house also, she's downstairs and always freezing. I get the majority of hte heat up here, and suffer (not always in silence). So, less heat is not an option.

Back to the humidifier...how much humidity could this thing put into a room? I don't see any condensation forming on the inside of the windows, which is what it says to look for and avoid, because that would be too much. I don't have a humidity monitor yet, but plan to get one.

And finally, is this type of humidifer bad if you have allergies to mold? Again, I read the instructions and plan to clean it as directed, probably longer and more often just out of fear of not wanting any build up. But the humid air itself, is that a problem in the room? I know in the summer when it's humid out, I feel heavy chested and blah, but I can't imagine my room getting that humid with this thing, at least not with the window cracked!

I also plan to get back to an allergist and start the whole mess of finding out what's what with me. Sorry this is so long, but any advice would be appreciated!

Last edited by Rain820; 02-07-2009 at 05:07 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2009, 05:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: Warm Mist Humidifer - Questions

Quote:
Also, does it matter that I have a window cracked in the room?
If you have a window cracked the humidifier won't work.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:50 PM   #3
(female)

patriciaf HB User
Re: Warm Mist Humidifer - Questions

I haven't found a humidifier yet (warm mist or cool mist) that doesn't get musty no matter how diligent I am about keeping it clean. My latest one was one of those really expensive environmental models that purports to keep itself clean for the most part (still, I cleaned it as well) and it STILL got musty within a few months. I have severe mold poisoning so I cannot afford to mess around with any amount of musty-ness. I have given up after throwing this last one out. Are your mold allergies really bad? If not, maybe you could chance it. Perhaps others with mold allergies can weigh in.

Closed Thread