It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2009, 04:09 PM   #1
(female)

yellowgirl HB User
Question Allergies Advice Needed, dust/pets taking Fexofendaine

Hi,

I'm a 23 year old girl and I'm having real problems with allergies but I am unsure of where to go for help and advice hence my reason for using google and finding this site to ask other sufferers.

I suffer from very bad dust and pet hair allergies. I just touch a dusty book or enter a dusty room and my eyes water and my nose and throat stuff up and I start to feel groggy.

I also have Dermagraphism - my skin itches and I get red, raised welts from clothing and also if dust or pet hair touches my skin.
Even if i a dog licks my hand it brings me out in a nettle like rash.

I work in an office enviroment and I find it makes me so ill. As I dont have any pets and keep my home as dust free as possible (my partner has asthma) I can manage it pretty well at home, but when im in work its a different story. the minute i arrive on monday morning the allergies are back i feel groggy and start sneezing and my face gets puffy and I just feel pretty rotten.

My doctor perscribed me with Fexofendaine (180mg) last year and I have taken them daily ever since to get by. I feel them working almost instantly and if i forget in the morning i soon know about it and have to return home for a tablet.

I jsut wondered what advice or things you have found help with your allergies to at least ease them. I find even just opening a window at work makes a difference which means the air must be pretty bad inside my office if outside air gives me less allergies!

I wondered if anyone else was on the same meds and has had any problems or knows of any reasons why taking them long term might cause any harm. I really dont like taking meds and never take pain relief unless truly needed so taking tablets daily does get me down.

My allergies seem to have worsened in recent years, when i was growing up we always had cats and i never had a problem with them (although dust has always bothered me) my mother still has the cat I grew up with and when i visit now if i havent had a tablet my skin gets all blothy and my eyes sting when i touch it! so i seem to be getting worse as a i get older? is this common?

Im finding my work a struggle and want to know what help i can get before considering a career change to get my out of the office enviroment as i know it definatly makes me condition worse.

also if anyone can give me some more info on Dermagraphism it would be appreciated as all my doc did was rub a pen on my arm and get amused at the fact my skin reacted then told me i had the condition and that was it!!

without the Fexofenadine i would be constantly itching, sneezing, have blocked sinuses and generally feel rotten.
surely these pills are only hiding the problem not curing it, is there anything i can do to rid me of these allergies or ease them enough that i do not rely on these meds for a managable lifestyle.

i wondered if it was worth finding out if I have any food allergies incase there is something else making me ill im not lookin into?

My skin is also extrmely sensitive (always has been, i had bad exzema as a child) i cant wear any make up without a reaction and there a very little products i can use without a problem.

i also feel extremely groggy on first waking up and suffer from a puffy face for most of the morning (my skins is normally marked too due to the dermagraphism so im not a pretty site) collegues often ask me if i have a cold in the morning or have only jsut got up, but normally by mid morning these eases if this all allergy related also. I dont sleep well either.

also is it worth seeing an allergist? what can they do? what do they do?

sorry to ask so much!

I feel like a falling to bits!!

look forward to hearing from some people who can help or at least share some of my problems as i feel rather alone.

Last edited by yellowgirl; 02-16-2009 at 04:16 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2009, 06:14 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Allergies Advice Needed, dust/pets taking Fexofendaine

You should definitely see an allergist in order to determine exactly what allergies you have - environmental and food - and plan a course of action for them. There are many allergy meds on the market that work for various allergies. Injections are always an option and work very well for lots of folks. Eczema is a symptom of food allergies so you may get relief with that as well. You really should find a good allergist.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:37 AM   #3
(female)

yellowgirl HB User

CAn you tell me more about allergists and what they actually do. I've never been to one and can only find one listed in my area. Can the doctor recommend one?
What kind of tests do they do?

Old 02-17-2009, 10:40 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Yes, I would get a recommendation from your doctor or a friend/family member who has been to one.

They can do tests to determine exactly what you are allergic to and match your treatment to that allergy. Normally, they do a scratch test for environmental allergies (scratch your arm or back with a small amount of the allergens for your area to see how bad a reaction you get) and a blood test for food allergies.

If food allergies, they'll recommend diet changes. If environmental ones, they can prescribe the appropriate antihistamine or start you on allergy injections to desensitize you to the allergens.

Hope this helps.

Closed Thread