It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2009, 12:07 AM   #1
(male)

S.O.S.meansHELP HB User
Question Food Allergy, Intolerance?

Hi,

I am looking for answers to what happened a few weeks back. On a wednesday afternoon, I woke up around 1pm (I work evening shift.). I ate 4/5's of a box of Quaker Chewy Oat Granola Fiber and Omega-3 Dark Chocolate Chunk Bars. Around 3pm, I noticed I had some gas and some stomach aches, around 8 pm, I had to leave work because my stomach felt like it was on a carnival ride.

I got back to work around 9pm and started itching on my arms, under my armpits, and around my stomach line.

I got home around 130 and continued to itch, I started scraching my right arm on the underside, and broke out in hives down both arms, under my armpits and across my stomach line, near my groin and down to the upper portions of my legs.

I had diarrhea and continued to have diarrhea until Friday. I felt generally run down and had some chills Thursday and Friday. I broke out in hives when I returned home from work that Thursday and Friday. I started to sweat all over Friday morning and had hot flashes for about 2 hours Friday morning. Everything returned to normal on Saturday, some minor itching, no hives, and solid stools

That Wednesday, a cold front with 30 degree temperature differential went through the area, and I have been moving dusty furniture around the week prior. I have severe dust allergies and super sensitive skin.

Could my dust allergies have enhanced my sensitivity to what I ate or does this sound like a classic food allergy/intolerance situation? I have no known food allergies that I known of before this incident.

I'm just looking for answers. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2009, 11:42 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User
Re: Food Allergy, Intolerance?

Hi SOS! I'm sorry it took so long to post--I just noticed it this afternoon. I too have had similar scenarios like yours with a huge weather change and different things to eat and bam!! I have ended up with the most horrible case of hives. I still suffer from them but not with the same intensity--thank God--because I've got a good allergist that follows me and I have gotten to know some of my triggers. Just this past week my scalp and sides broke out because the weather has been crazy. I also can't take food dyes and stupid me had popsicles over the past couple of days, too(I'm a glutton for punishment!). I have been suffering from an ear and sinus infection and the drainage from the sinus goes into my stomach and I swear that causes the hives, too. This is very debilitating and disabling and because I am considered disabled for other issues, I can at least go back to bed, cover up(the cold brings the hives out, too) and get more rest. I totally understand what you're going through. It definitely affects the gut area and I have been there too, just like you. I hope that you can find a good allergist who will test you for everything under the sun. Mine did and I have shown to be allergic to two different kinds of dust, dog and cat, and spring and fall mix pollens. I am about to go for a week long food sensitivity test which will show my sensitivities. I am not allergic to foods, which is good for hives but not for my hips!!LOL I hopt I have helped in some small way. God bless and take care--Hopeto--

Old 03-11-2009, 04:56 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

nscrbug HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopetofeelwell1 View Post
I am about to go for a week long food sensitivity test which will show my sensitivities. I am not allergic to foods, which is good for hives but not for my hips!!LOL I hopt I have helped in some small way. God bless and take care--Hopeto--

Hi...what kind of test do they do for food sensitivity? And what kind of doctor would perform such a test? I think I have some food sensitivities/intolerances. I know they are not allergies, because I don't get severe reactions (skin rash/hives, swelling, itching, etc.)...I only get a digestive reaction (bloat, gas, D and/or C). I would love to find out exactly which foods are triggering these symptoms, without having to put myself through a full-blown elimination diet. I've already been tested for Celiac's, and it came back negative. But I do eat lots of whole grains, so I still think there is a possibility that something might be triggering my tummy troubles. Thanks for any help/advice!

Linda

Old 03-12-2009, 11:11 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

You need to check and see if the Quaker bar is one that has been recalled.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:20 PM   #5
(female)

Yavanna HB User

You would need to go to an allergist and have them perform a skin test to find out likely diet causes. They usually use your back and upper arms and make a grid (A1, A2, A3, A4, B1, B2, B3, B4, etc) then they use a plastic stick that resembles a toothpick that has been dipped in the allergen to scrape against the outer layer of your skin. It doesn't hurt, if you react however it makes you want to scratch your skin off but you can't touch it or it could contaminate the results of the nearby tests.

Once they've found what you react to you can either choose to not have the items and remove them from your diet or do a food challenge in the doctor's office where they give you tiny little bites of the item your skin test said you were allergic to and watch for hives to start forming (it determines if you need to carry an EpiPen around with you 24/7.

Hope that helps.

Closed Thread