It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2009, 01:18 AM   #1
(male)

r32 HB User
allergy to fruits?

Hello everybody

Some time ago, like around 2 years ago I started to have problems eating apples, peaces, pears, cherries...If I eat them then my mouth and lips become itchy. If I cook these fruits then I don't have problem.

I can eat bananas, melons, kiwi, pineapple, oranges...

What can it be? Any ideas?

Old 03-04-2009, 05:11 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: allergy to fruits?

Oral allergy syndrome.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2009, 08:21 AM   #3
(male)

r32 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Oral allergy syndrome.
Can it come suddenly? Is it triggered by something?
What is the best way to get rid of it?

Old 03-04-2009, 05:35 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Live-Life-to-Love HB User

You don't. Once you have an allergy (especially to fruit) you have to avoid it. If you don't it can be more severe the next time. I would go to an allergist to get tested for those fruits and if it comes back positive - be careful to avoid. Also get a prescription for an epi-pen and carry it with you at all times.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:47 PM   #5
(male)

r32 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live-Life-to-Love View Post
You don't. Once you have an allergy (especially to fruit) you have to avoid it. If you don't it can be more severe the next time. I would go to an allergist to get tested for those fruits and if it comes back positive - be careful to avoid. Also get a prescription for an epi-pen and carry it with you at all times.
Is this allergy triggered by something, because I didn't have it 2 years ago.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:58 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

It's like any allergy - it just comes on. Something in your body gets haywire. I'd see a doctor because OAS is not like regular allergies - or so I understand. I owuld suggest doing a search for that term.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:44 PM   #7
(male)

r32 HB User

what do you mean by not like regular allergies?

Old 03-06-2009, 04:11 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

it's not treatable like regular allergies. I don't know that much about it - just what I've read from posters here. It's called a "syndrome" because it's not like the usual allergies - cats, trees, etc - where you can take antihistamines or get injections to control them. See an ENT or allergist.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:04 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Courty HB User

I have the same allergy that developed when I was about thirteen. Cooked and processed fruit are ok. I would go get an allergy test. Those specific allergies may belinked to hazel nuts and almonds which can be anphalacxtic. I was lucky I got tested before I reacted to those nuts. Sometimes you can get soemthing one day no reaction then the next day eat it again and the allergy will kick in.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:17 AM   #10
(male)

r32 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courty View Post
I have the same allergy that developed when I was about thirteen. Cooked and processed fruit are ok. I would go get an allergy test. Those specific allergies may belinked to hazel nuts and almonds which can be anphalacxtic. I was lucky I got tested before I reacted to those nuts. Sometimes you can get soemthing one day no reaction then the next day eat it again and the allergy will kick in.
Strange, I don't know why I got this at 21, but I guess there is nothing to do now. I will go to the doctor and see what he has to say about this.
Thanks for your comments!

Old 03-09-2009, 07:32 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Courty HB User

I know my allergies cameo ut of no where too. Thats a good idea going to the doctor's . Good luck !

Closed Thread