It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2009, 02:51 AM   #1
(male)

prodog24 HB User
Alcohol intolerance!

Im 17 turning 18 and since my first drink have never been able to drink alcohol. I can have as many drinks as i like, but usually half an hour or so later i feel like throwing up, then i get nauseous and feel constant waves of sickness. Depending on how much i have drunk i can spend more than 12 hours over the toilet throwing up until theres no bodily fluids left in me.

I concluded that im allergic (intollerant) to alcohol as i found my dad has a similar problem to me. But have been wondering that maybe its not the alcohol but a particular ingredient in some or all alcoholic drinks. Usually ill only have a beer or maybe 2 and feel fine. But the times i have been sick i have usually drunk a mixture of bourbon, vodka, rum and who knows what else.

One time i had 1 can of premix jimbeam and 1 can of premix southern comfort and felt sick for around 2 hours but not to the same degree as i have in previous times. One other time i drank a fair amount of bacardi and jim beam which also lead to me being sick for at least 6-8 hours. No point including the other times i have been sick as i had consumed numerous types of drinks.

For the record: i pretty well concluded bourbon makes me sick and also im not of asian descent.

Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated (will save me from experimenting with each different drink one at a time :S)

Old 03-30-2009, 04:02 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Alcohol intolerance!

While you may, in fact, have a low tolerance for alcohol it would appear, given your age, that the main issue is that you have not "learned" to drink correctly. Combining various types of alcohol and the sugar laden mixers is a sure bet to make you sick. When I started college, at only 17, my father sat me down and explained alcohol to me and said he knew I would drink so I needed to "learn" how to drink. After that, I was allowed to drink at home - as long as it was scotch and water. ...and that is definitely an "acquired" taste. I never did drink the mixes that the college guys put together and I never got sick. And I drink scotch and water to this day...and I'm decades beyond your age.

And the amount of alcohol you seem to be consuming at any given time is a problem as well. I'm not condoning underage drinking but trying to educate you on the use of alcohol. One doesn't just "start" drinking and be able to handle it. You have to "learn" to drink. Perhaps you should wait a few years and start over with a proper drink - and only 1 or 2 per evening.

Last edited by Titchou; 03-30-2009 at 04:04 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread