It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2009, 02:01 PM   #1
(male)

jbmk HB User
Reaction after stopping prolonged use of Reactine

Hello,

I have a problem. I usually take Reactine daily during the spring and summer periods each year for dust and pollen allergies, and stop taking it during the fall and winter months all together. This year when I stopped taking it I became very itchy on the back, arms and legs, no hives though. I didn't know what to make of it so I started taking it again and the itching stopped. Has anyone had this problem before with an allergy medication? Can your body become dependent on it?

Last edited by jbmk; 04-06-2009 at 02:30 PM.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:56 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Reaction after stopping prolonged use of Reactine

I owuld tend to think that a) you have some other allergy that it was taking of and is now presenting that you are off the drug or b) you've developed something recently - perhaps just dry skin or possibly a new allergy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2009, 03:37 PM   #3
(male)

jbmk HB User

Yeah your probably right, now I have to find out what I'm reacting to, thanks for your reply.

Last edited by jbmk; 04-06-2009 at 03:41 PM.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:51 PM   #4
(female)

sunjammer HB User

I just stopped using Reactine after being on it for ~ 4 months and I could claw the skin off myself! I'm now a poster child for Aloe Vera. Itching started the day after I stopped taking Reactine. First, fingers, then upper arms, inner calves, chest, chin and lower face. I stopped taking this med in prep for an allergy test next week. I started taking the med for sinusitis at the direction of my GP. Note, I also started using Avamays (?) steroidal nasal spray ~1 1/2 months ago. My biggest problem with allergies is reacting to co-workers laundry detergents and hair sprays, in our scent free office.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:06 PM   #5
(male)

JohnnyK9 HB User

I have read that people have a withdrawal problem with reactine or Zyrtec in the states. I have the same problem. I stop taking reactine and then I itch like crazy. Apparently it takes 15 days or so to get over the withdrawal symtoms. I am on day 7. It sucks but I don't want to be hooked anymore. search for "stop Zyrtec get itchy" and you will find a site about it.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:12 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I went off of Allegra and Flonase last month after over a decade on them. For about the first week and a half, I was intensely itchy. I also had a hive like rash that kept popping up and disappearing. It intensified the rash. The itching was worst on my torso, arms and legs.

At first, I figured maybe the allergy meds were masking an unknown allergen. I'm still off of the meds and no longer have the itching. My theory now is that my body just needed to adjust to being off of the meds. I had the same reaction every time I stopped taking the meds before beginning a new vial of immunotherapy. I never stayed off of them long enough to know how my body would react before.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:55 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Interesting. I go on and off zyrtec all the time and never have this problem.

Old 05-14-2011, 01:43 PM   #8
(female)

hanmic12 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmk View Post
Hello,

I have a problem. I usually take Reactine daily during the spring and summer periods each year for dust and pollen allergies, and stop taking it during the fall and winter months all together. This year when I stopped taking it I became very itchy on the back, arms and legs, no hives though. I didn't know what to make of it so I started taking it again and the itching stopped. Has anyone had this problem before with an allergy medication? Can your body become dependent on it?
I am just wondering if you ever got off reactine, and how long the itching lasts. I've had to take it daily, I think i'm going on 10 yrs. If I stop, I break out in hives and am extra itchy all over starting with the hands and feet. what is the solution?
I've tried to stop numerous times, always going back on reactine. hmmm.

Old 05-14-2011, 01:51 PM   #9
(female)

hanmic12 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyK9 View Post
I have read that people have a withdrawal problem with reactine or Zyrtec in the states. I have the same problem. I stop taking reactine and then I itch like crazy. Apparently it takes 15 days or so to get over the withdrawal symtoms. I am on day 7. It sucks but I don't want to be hooked anymore. search for "stop Zyrtec get itchy" and you will find a site about it.
Can you let me know how the coming off of reactine was? It says day 7 here. Did you succeed. I've been on it over 10 yrs, and each time I try the extreme hives and itching start and I give in. Especially now that it's allergy season. Let me know

Old 05-14-2011, 02:08 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

For me, if I get the itching, it usually takes about a week for the itching to diminish.

The Following User Says Thank You to MountainReader For This Useful Post:
hanmic12 (05-14-2011)
Closed Thread