It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2009, 07:43 PM   #1
(female)

Mainerock HB User
allergic to stitches????

Trying to find out what stitches used in surgeries are made of and if you can be allergic to them. my husband has had seveal surgeries with different complications and that would explain some of it .And are there any other choices??
mainerock

Old 04-20-2009, 08:44 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: allergic to stitches????

I haven't heard of this one before, but it seems to be possible to be allergic to almost anything. Have you talked to your doctors/surgeons who did the stitches about what they used? What type of thread? What type of anticeptics, etc...? You might find something in common if you dig a bit.

Also, when are the symptoms showing up? Is it immediately or after a while?
Is it just along the stitch line?

Have you looked at other possibilities? Adhesives that are used at the same time to cover thes stitches are a major allergen for me.

Depending on the size of the wound, steri-strips or glue are often used for smaller incisions. Staples are also used sometimes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2009, 05:17 PM   #3
(female)

Mainerock HB User

Thanks for your thoughts I have talked to alot of different people ove the years, without them taking it very seriously. His reaction is immediate. he has general not large infections that take three times a day to keep the infection from getting worse on the incision and they will not desolve they come out in large piecees like the body rejects them. He has used other things when availbale he is very allergic to cats and alof of things he had heavy exposure to formaladahyde and acetone many years ago so that is some of it. I am searching for why his body does not stop growing scar tissue its like it continues to heal all the time . He has closed a double by-pass and we are now waiting for something to change becaue we don't know why.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:12 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rush_rulz HB User

I had a reaction to a glue they used on me for a laperoscopy procedure (female). the thing is, I had that same surgery not two and a half years before that, never had a reaction, then all of a sudden I get these raised red bumps that itch and burn and would NOT go away, turns out I was allergic reacting to the glue they put on top of the cuts...so I had to wash the stuff off but by the time my Dr realized what was going on it was hard to get the stuff off and the skin is STILL red in spots (this was back in Jan.) so yes, I'd believe it could be possible!

Old 05-08-2009, 10:58 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush_rulz View Post
I had a reaction to a glue they used on me for a laperoscopy procedure (female). the thing is, I had that same surgery not two and a half years before that, never had a reaction, then all of a sudden I get these raised red bumps that itch and burn and would NOT go away, turns out I was allergic reacting to the glue they put on top of the cuts...so I had to wash the stuff off but by the time my Dr realized what was going on it was hard to get the stuff off and the skin is STILL red in spots (this was back in Jan.) so yes, I'd believe it could be possible!

I had that same reaction! I had foot surgery in Jan. When she went to take the stitches out, part opened back up (not all the way). She used the spray glue adhesive with sterile strips to get it to heal. Within 48 hours my foot was red, swollen, burning and really itchy!! Never again!!

As for the OP.. it does sound like his body rejects the stiches. Maybe it's not necessarily an "allergy" but something that irritates his body.
Just so you know though, they can fall out in chunks like that.
I wonder if this comes from a deeper underlying issue versus just the stiches however?

Closed Thread