It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2009, 12:23 PM   #1
(male)

peter** HB User
Are food allergy tests conclusive?

I am pretty sure I have food allergies/intolerances.
I had some skin ***** tests for wheat,maize and nitrates all of which came back negative but I am positive these are some of the culprits adding to my conditions of asthma symptoms,rhinitus and burning sensations in my mouth along with very itchy lips and cheeks.
COULD I BE SENSITIVE TO THESE THINGS EVEN IF AN ALLERGY TEST CAME BACK NEGATIVE.
PS
after the tests the immunologist did say that wheat,maize and nitrates can be ruled out.
is she right.....

Old 05-07-2009, 01:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User
Re: Are food allergy tests conclusive?

It sounds like you were tested for allergies, not intolerance?

Although they have many similar symptoms, food allergies and intolerances are two different disorders. Food intolerance is sometimes called "non-allergic food hypersensitivity" to differentiate from food allergy.

Intolerance is much more difficult to diagnose than allergy. Testing depends on what type of food intolerance is suspected, ie Celiac Disease requires specific blood/biopsy testing, while others require a Food Challenge or an elimination diet. These diet challenges should be done under the supervision of a doc or dietitian.

Last edited by AuntieLeela; 05-07-2009 at 01:57 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2009, 03:47 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

And the itchy lips and cheeks sound like Oral Allergy Syndrome (OAS) which is not like true allergies. Keep in mind that while you may not be allergic to the food itself, you may be allergic to something that is used to process it. I am highly sensitive to chlorine bleach. So I avoid things processed with bleach - bleached flour, Splenda (did you know that one?), etc.

And usually the blood test for food allergies is more sensitive than the scratch test. That test is usually better for environmental allergies.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:25 AM   #4
(female)

Shannatoo HB User

As somone prior to me said, you could very well have food intolerances instead of allergies. Also, I have food allergies, all diagnosed through IGG blood testing (opposed to the conventional IGE blood testing). IGG testing is often used more by holistic physicians. For me it proved very effective.

Here's another thought, my doctor told me this. Regardless of how you test for something, if you know it makes your symptoms worse, you don't have to eat it! It also might be helpful to look for a holistic physician in your area, they have much more training in food intolerances and delayed-onset allergies.

Good Luck!

Old 05-10-2009, 09:51 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

I came here just now because I'm having the exact same problem. Besides oral allergy syndrome or some kind of intolerance, there's also MSG. I was just reading that it increases histamine production by 150%, so you could be very mildly allergic to something, but if you eat it with MSG you could have a severe reaction.

But also, they can only test for about 50 foods, and there are a LOT more than 50 foods. You could very easily be allergic to something they don't have a test for.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:47 AM   #6
(male)

flickfire HB User

I have an allergic reaction to foods that I tested negative for when I had my blood tests. I believe there is such a thing as a "false negative" result. I would trust my gut when dealing with food allergies and intolerances. Stay away from the foods that cause you a reaction even if the tests say otherwise.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:52 AM   #7
(male)

flickfire HB User

I also tested negative on my blood test for a lot of foods that I have an allergic reaction to. There is such a thing as a "false negative result". I would trust my guts Peter, and just stay away from the foods that give you an allergic reaction or intolerance symptoms.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:47 PM   #8
(male)

peter** HB User

thanks for the input.
The bleached flour which was mentioned is something I will look into
thanks

Closed Thread