It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2009, 01:34 PM   #1
(male)

NeuropathicGuy HB User
Can food allergies cause neuropathy?

Hi all,

I've been experiencing peripheral neuropathy for several months now and have been searching for answers to no avail. All of my blood tests, urine tests, MRIs (of the brain and cervical spine), CT scans, and nerve conduction studies check out just fine.

I was wondering, does anyone know if food allergies can cause peripheral neuropathy? My symptoms alternate between widespread itching (mostly in the arms, legs, ears, and back of my head) and feelings of burning/tingling/prickly sensations in the extremities. The sensations come and go. Some days they are there all day, but other days they are almost entirely absent.

I've been screened for celiac disease and do not appear to have it, but I'm wondering if maybe a wheat allergy or gluten allergy can be causing my symptoms? The reason I'm wondering about an allergy tie-in is because my neuropathy first started several weeks after I had an allergic reaction (pruritus) to the antibiotic Augmentin, which I was taking for sinusitis. Maybe that caused me to develop other allergies?

Any feedback is much appreciated.

The Following User Says Thank You to NeuropathicGuy For This Useful Post:
Draperco (03-26-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2009, 02:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User
Re: Can food allergies cause neuropathy?

I just found out that my son who suffers from seasonal allergies and a few food allergies can now add apples to his list. He been itching in a spacific spot and after trying everything his allergist asked what he ingest the most whch was apple juice and he stoppe ditching within days of stopping the apple juice. You'll just have to do an elimination of cetain foods and see what happens you just have to be really dilligent when shooping. Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2009, 08:13 PM   #3
(female)

boubou HB User

I'm wondering the same thing! I've never had allergies but this year, I do and it's bad. Since the snow melted, I've had from severe runny nose during the day to complete congestion at night. I've been taking claritin but not every day, I don't like taking too much of that stuff. I've been feeling peripheral neuropathy in my thights, calves and head. It's fleeting tingling and never all at the same time. No pain, just weird. I saw my doctor today and asked her opinion, she also feels it may be related to allergies. I have had no other tests, because it's so everywhere and not in one specific spot or side and lasts only 1 second or so. Let me know what you think!

Old 08-02-2009, 10:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

Ask your Doctor to do a RAST blood test on you. Have Wheat, milk, soy, fish and your basic list done. Mine came back Milk and was such a suprise.

Not sure you know your Celiac test can be negative when you actually have it. Also depends on what test your Doctor did for it.

I have Celiac but am not allergic to wheat. Good luck. I get tingling in my lower legs when I eat gluten.....I know it is connected.

Oleander

Closed Thread