Some man that was in my house the other day fixing something scared the hell out of me! He said he can sense mold in my house and that there must be standing puddles of water in my basement?
I am from ontario canada would mold only be a problem here in the summer as it freezes in the basement in the winter?
My basement is a crawl space like 3 feet and im sure its easy for water to get down there but im not sure if it would cause actual puddles?
What are the chances on toxic mold growing in a basement like this? This is a really old house! I have noticed bits of mold in the bathroom nothing crazy tho.
One thing i am scared about is i have
But the truth is i had these before eve nwhen i lived in a bran new house as a child and in my early 20s ive always had this issues so i can't say the toxic mold caused them not that i know its toxic anyway
There is so much confusing information on the internet about it I just want to know the chances on my basement creating toxic mold because water can get through? I have seen rats down there! I am freaking out someone help me im so scared
even if you have mold, it would be rare that it would be the toxic kind. Most people have problems with mold due to allergies. You could always get someone to come out and inspect your crawl space to make sure it is draining properly. If you have rats down there it might be a good idea for an inspection regardless.
how do u know toxic mold is rare? I can't seem to find any information on it? But i am also thinking there is biased information out there because mold removing company are trying to scare us into making money?
I've watched a couple of reports on it on TV. Not going to lie and say I'm an expert or anything, but they say it's rare because apparently MOST people who have mold in their house do not have the toxic kind. It can of course occur. Either way mold in your house isn't good. Unless it's rampant through the house or a severe case, most mold cases can be taken care of by removing the source (ie. fix any and all moisture problems) and cleaning or removing the surfaces affected by mold.
Another thing to think of is to test the humidity in your house. I forget the levels, but I know you want to keep your humidity at a certain level to inhibit mold growth. You can get a temp/humidity gauge for pretty cheap. It may be that he sensed the humidity in your house??
When I lived in Houston, TX, toxic mold was a problem in some areas due to the high humidity in the area. There were different tests that could be done to determine if the mold is toxic or not. Regardless, ANY mold can very well bother you! We had our house tested and luckily it was NOT toxic, but still enough to give my brother with asthma trouble. We had to move out of the house for 2 months for them to remodel a few walls and redo all the air ducts/piping for the air conditioning. I had a friend who had the black toxic mold and they had to move out of their house for over 6 months for it to be repaired. It can definitely do a lot of damage!
It is my understanding that now there is no federal standard for mold. Something Obama put through is what I was told by city building inspector in my town just this past week. There are self-test kits available on the internet or you can hire a mold specialist, but be prepared to spend LOTS of money.
It's been a really tough year, and I just connected my health problems to mold and dust. I have been tested for these in the past, but nothing was really done about it. I have been living in a musty house for 2 years now. (I've temporarily moved out). I developed blepharitis, and looking back, I really do think the air quality had a lot to do with it. Lot of work is being done to correct the problems in the house. But now I find that I'm super sensitive to certain air. I work in a large grocery store, and have nothing but trouble with my eyes within minutes of stepping into the building. It's the same reaction I was getting every time I walked into the house. They swell, the rims turn red, just a very uncomfortable feeling. Not to mention I look sick all the time. I just bought some Reactine because I read on the internet it's good for indoor allergies. I will be seeing an allergist in the future. How long can you continually use antihistamines for? I also wonder if allergy shots would be an option. I don't even want to go places because I just never know how I will feel. It's really disrupted my life. Any input, ideas, or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Please do me a favor and get yourself in the hands of a good allergist because he may be able to help you either with medication or injections. I am HIGHLY allergic to mold, so speak from experience. I am on injections and it has made all the difference in the world. However, not everyone has to go on injections. If you do start them, it will take a little time before they take the full effect. Good luck and, believe me, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Please don't let your general man deal with this unless an allergist has helped you first.
Location: Larose, Louisiana, United States of America
Re: Toxic mold? please someone help i'm so scared
I've been on antihistamines since the 4th grade and haven't had to switch. I've had to use additional medications during certain parts of the year but zyrtec works wonders for me.
As far as the mold goes, I'm allergic to mold, but whether you're allergic to it or not, mold is NOT healthy for you! You might want to see about getting someone to inspect the crawl space like someone above recommended. I think I remember seeing that you had mold in your bathroom? If that is true, then you obviously have a moisture problem that won't fix itself. You very well could have mold in your basement if you are getting it elsewhere. Also, rats carry all manner of diseases. You'll want to work on getting rid of that infestation. A thorough cleaning with a mold and mildew destroyer (mean green makes a good one) and finding and fixing the moisture source should do it.