It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2009, 02:27 PM   #1
(female)

turtletrapeze HB User
Excessive coughing/mucus after eating

I have all the same problems that others have listed after eating. No matter what I eat I start coughing and have mucus in my throat after I eat. I do not have heartburn and no food allergies that I know of. I cough and gag so much it hurts my chest, back, and arms sometimes. Sometimes I throw up a clear mucus but I continue to cough for about an hour after every meal. Does anyone have a solution to stop the coughing and mucus? Please help! I can't live like this forever.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2009, 05:30 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

fufu HB Userfufu HB User
Re: Excessive coughing/mucus after eating

You should see your gp, he will be able to send you for the appropriate tests. Sound like it might be acid reflux. It's not uncommon not to have the heartburn but to have other symptoms. Try cutting down on foods that contain acid and see how that works for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2009, 11:05 AM   #3
(male)

Greenjuice HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtletrapeze View Post
I have all the same problems that others have listed after eating. No matter what I eat I start coughing and have mucus in my throat after I eat. I do not have heartburn and no food allergies that I know of. I cough and gag so much it hurts my chest, back, and arms sometimes. Sometimes I throw up a clear mucus but I continue to cough for about an hour after every meal. Does anyone have a solution to stop the coughing and mucus? Please help! I can't live like this forever.
I'll share whats helped me. I often find that when I eat or drink I literally am inhaling the substances, almost like to get the greatest enjoyment out of it. What I do to help prevent this is, chewing slowly and getting the flavors out while I'm chewing, then telling myself to swallow the food as if it has no taste. You need to focus swallowing the food. This may sound crazy, but over time it becomes monotonous and you'll find a new way of enjoying food, without inhaling it up your throat. For me its helped.

I'd say go ahead and try it, and see if it works. If it doesn't then I'm sure there are others ways of battling this.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:12 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

wackytoposthere HB User

You should be checked for food allergies, also milk will
cause mucus.

Go to your health food store and get some digestive bitters and follow the directions on the bottle.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:07 AM   #5
(female)

NancyAL5 HB User

I had been coughing up mucus after eating for 3 weeks. I just got a call back from the doctor. He said I have low grade pneumonia.

To make eating easier, take small bites then take a sip of water. This seems to help the coughing. I am getting the antibiotic Cipro for the pneumonia.

Closed Thread