It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2009, 12:31 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

missyou009 HB User
Can you take both Zyrtec and Benadryl?

Just yesterday I was told to take Zyrtec for my allergies. Well I'm pretty congested right now, and I have Benadryl D in my room. I took the Zyrtec last night around 7, would taking a Benadryl now be okay? And then could I take the Zyrtec tonight?

Thanks!

Old 10-13-2009, 02:30 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Can you take both Zyrtec and Benadryl?

I wouldn't. You can buy the D by itself or, better yet, do a nasal rinse to clear out the congestions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2009, 03:02 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

missyou009 HB User

I have no transportation...I got back to school and realized that I needed something. Maybe I'll take the Benadryl now and the Zyrtec in the morning.That would be okay, right?

Old 10-13-2009, 03:23 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Most likely....the benedryl is fast acting - 4 hour time frame - whereas the Zyrtec is a 24 hour med. You could call the pharmacy and ask the pharmacist what to do.

An alternate to the nasal rinse is to turn on the hot water in your sink and lean over it with a towel over your head - creating a tent - and inhale the mist from the hot water. That will help clear your sinuses too. Or a hot shower....

Old 10-21-2009, 02:37 AM   #5
(male)

iLuvAcapella HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyou009 View Post
Just yesterday I was told to take Zyrtec for my allergies. Well I'm pretty congested right now, and I have Benadryl D in my room. I took the Zyrtec last night around 7, would taking a Benadryl now be okay? And then could I take the Zyrtec tonight?

Thanks!
So what did you do after this question was posed?
Zyrtec works a little different than Benadryll. Both are antihistamines and both should be taken at night before bed as they can make you drowsy.

In my experience, Zyrtec was the best for indoor and outdoor allergies. I've been on Benadryll and Claritin as well.
Both did not work for me as good as my regimen of Zyrtec.
In my experience with Zyrtec you have to wait about 24 to 36 hours for your body to become acquainted with it. And you have to take it daily for it to keep up its work. Once the Zyrtec is well in your system you shouldn't have much of an issue. Are you on a nasal decongestant like Flonase. That you must also take daily as well, 2x i believe. Its steroidal and you must always use it, as my doc says. Its preventative.

A lot of people don't realize is that with allergy medication you have to wait for symptoms to subside before you can see the results of the medication. They prevent the stuffy noses and itchy eyes. Nothing is immediate.

If anything taking both probably would've made you very sleepy and very groggy......

Old 10-21-2009, 07:36 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

missyou009 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allsop4 View Post
The best idea, if you dont mind the benedryl's initial drousiness (which will decrease after the first couple days), is to just abandon the zyrtec, and switch completely over to Benedryl-D, as your antihistamine/decongestant.
Benadryl has never made me drowsy...and I was taking Benadryl-D daily before the doctor told me to switch to Zyrtec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLuvAcapella View Post
So what did you do after this question was posed?
Zyrtec works a little different than Benadryll. Both are antihistamines and both should be taken at night before bed as they can make you drowsy.

In my experience, Zyrtec was the best for indoor and outdoor allergies. I've been on Benadryll and Claritin as well.
Both did not work for me as good as my regimen of Zyrtec.
In my experience with Zyrtec you have to wait about 24 to 36 hours for your body to become acquainted with it. And you have to take it daily for it to keep up its work. Once the Zyrtec is well in your system you shouldn't have much of an issue. Are you on a nasal decongestant like Flonase. That you must also take daily as well, 2x i believe. Its steroidal and you must always use it, as my doc says. Its preventative.

A lot of people don't realize is that with allergy medication you have to wait for symptoms to subside before you can see the results of the medication. They prevent the stuffy noses and itchy eyes. Nothing is immediate.

If anything taking both probably would've made you very sleepy and very groggy......
I took the Benadryl after I posted and then took the Zyrtec in the morning as per usual (no, neither one makes me drowsy in any way).

I'm not on a nasal decongestant. My doctor was going to put me on one, but because I wasn't too congested when I saw her, decided against it to see how things went without.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:01 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

The "d' in Benedryl D is a decongestant. If you have no congestion, you should not be taking the "d".

Old 10-21-2009, 11:03 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

missyou009 HB User

I'm aware of what the "D" is. I have had congestion...almost the entire time I've been at school, hence my taking it!

I saw the doctor when I was at home and my congestion wasn't as bad.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:32 PM   #9
(male)

iLuvAcapella HB User

Right, everything has been explained.

Just wanna reiterate, allergy medication is to treat the symptoms of allergies.
Its not a cure, its only a treatment, like any other medication whether prescription or OTC. There are always liabilities and possibilities for adverse effects.

Closed Thread