It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2009, 01:07 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
A successful 5 year immunization regimen to treat a severe cat allergy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Machaon: Where do you get that she will never get over the dog allergy? I am severely allergic to cats - and I sleep with a long haired one.
I have no way of answering your question. To me, a severe allergy is just that, an allergy that will set of a strong reaction. If cats don't really bother you, then it confuses me how cats can be a severe allergy for you?!

One plausible explanation is that allergies are combinational, where it takes more than one offending allergen to set of a reaction. But I always thought that a severe allergy was a severe allergy was a severe allergy.

It just goes to show, the more we know, the more we know that we don't know!

It will be interesting to find out how your "severe" allergy to cats fares, as you grow older and your Immune System changes.

Best of luck and health!

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 11-19-2009 at 01:09 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2009, 05:31 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Should we get rid of the dog?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
I have no way of answering your question. To me, a severe allergy is just that, an allergy that will set of a strong reaction. If cats don't really bother you, then it confuses me how cats can be a severe allergy for you?!
I suppose you either don't understand allergy injections or did not read all my post. I am allergic to lots of things - in fact, everything they tested me for. I have taken allergy injections to "desensitize" me to those allergens and also take antihistamines to aid in control of allergic reactions when needed. For a number of people, the benefits of the injections do not last a life time and have to be redone over time. When you complete the 5 year regimen (and it takes real dedication to go every 4 weeks for 5 years and as much as 2 times a week in the beginning), you can be tested again to see how well they;ve worked, which allergies are well tolerated and which ones yo may need to continue injections for. Over time, the desensitization may wear off. As you so well noted, our immune systems can do interesting things. So, for some of us, our allergies change over time. That';s what happens to me. I've been tested 3 times and they are all over the place. However, the last testing some 12or so years ago showed me as highly allergic to all. i will say that they did not work as well this time as they did the time before. I've had to supplement with zyrted more often than I did before. However, the two together work very well.

I rather imagine that I may end up doing them at least once more in my life (I'm almost 64 now). However, the results do not seem to be as good as we age which is probably due to our immune systems becoming more compromised as we age. My take on all this allergy business is that I do not intend to live my life in a bubble, being a "martyr/victinm/whatever", nor do I intend to use my allergies or asthma as an excuse not to do what I want. I want to smell the flowers, pet the cats and dogs, mow my own grass, work in my yard, go to outdoor events....and injections and meds are how I do it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2009, 06:52 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: A successful 5 year immunization regimen to treat a severe cat allergy

Thanks, HB-Mod!

Old 11-20-2009, 07:01 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Should we get rid of the dog?

Quote:
I suppose you either don't understand allergy injections or did not read all my post.
I guess you are right! You say that you have a SEVERE allergy to cats, but you sleep with a cat!?? Makes sense to me.

Quote:
I am allergic to lots of things - in fact, everything they tested me for. I have taken allergy injections to "desensitize" me to those allergens and also take antihistamines to aid in control of allergic reactions when needed. For a number of people, the benefits of the injections do not last a life time and have to be redone over time

I had allergy shots for years, and they are still working great at reducing asthma and sinus problems. But, the allergy shots cause an increased over-activity by the NeuroHormonal and Immune Systems, which themselves cause all kinds of health problems.

Quote:
My take on all this allergy business is that I do not intend to live my life in a bubble,
Some of us have no choice. The allergy shots have caused my NeuroHormonal and Immune Systems to be hyperactive, making it much more difficult for me to survive Heart Failure and Atrial Fibrillation, along with the Asthma. I accept my "bubble" and my high quality of life for what it is.

Congestive heart failure (CHF) is a common and costly public health problem in the United States. Over 4 million Americans have CHF, resulting in 870,000 hospitalizations and 260,000 deaths per year.

The fact that I have beaten Heart Failure for over 22 years, encourages me to continue what works for me, which is only possible by throughly understandiing the relationships between one's Immune and NeuroHormonal Systems and one's allergies/Asthma.

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 11-20-2009 at 07:02 AM.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:39 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

OK, one last statement - the shots have desensitized me to the cats (among other things) meaning I can be around them with no reaction. Eventually, that will wear off and I will again have allergic reactions to them. Until then, I am fine.

I am sorry that you had some aberation but that does not apply to everyone else. I've been fine and I had my first series of injections almost 50 years ago. I think of this as similar to diabetics who take their meds and can eat normally...the emds don't CURE it but does allow them to live a normal life. Allergies, asthma, etc are the same when well controlled. I regret yours aren't.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:25 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
OK, one last statement - the shots have desensitized me to the cats (among other things) meaning I can be around them with no reaction. Eventually, that will wear off and I will again have allergic reactions to them. Until then, I am fine.
We all know that allergy tests can be effected by contact with an allergen, whether allergic to it or not. I don't know if your story is believable or not.

Quote:
I am sorry that you had some aberation but that does not apply to everyone else.
Thanks!

Quote:
I think of this as similar to diabetics who take their meds and can eat normally...the emds don't CURE it but does allow them to live a normal life.
That is not necessarily true. Diabetics must always watch their carbs.

The medicines can only do so much.

Quote:
Allergies, asthma, etc are the same when well controlled. I regret yours aren't.
Thanks!

It has been a very difficult and long struggle for me, and I've had to overcome many health problems, mostly by fully understanding how they work.

The fact that, nearing age 70, I am doing so well and can lead a somewhat normal life, is a miracle all by itself, somewhat akin to your severe allergy to cats. I wish you continued good health, whether from the real or the imagined.

Take care...........

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 11-21-2009 at 01:01 AM.

Closed Thread