It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2010, 07:02 PM   #1
(female)

mommain HB User
What's your experience with shot therapy?

Hi everyone! I am new to this. My 8yr old has just been diagnosed with severe yr-round allergies, and some moderate-severe food allergies. Allergy shot therapy is in our future. My husband is ready to do it, but I am not convinced it's necessary and will be trying a gluten-free, natural diet before shot therapy. I wondered about your experience with the allergy shots?

Old 04-17-2010, 05:47 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: What's your experience with shot therapy?

For environmental allergies (pollens, dust mites, etc - not food allergies) they worked great for me. Keep in mind that this is a long process (standard is 5 years) so it takes dedication. I've done them 3 times in my life (teens, 30's, 50's) as they are not a cure and can wear off over time. I hope I live long enough to need them again!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2010, 12:59 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

They have done wonders for me. I'm on my second go-round in my life. Prior to starting my current therapy a couple years ago, I was on 4 allergy meds daily. I'm down to two at this point and one of those if really taken for my asthma.

If you are looking to a total holistic approach for your son, I have a friend who took her children to see a NAET practitioner who was able to treat their allergies naturally.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:58 PM   #4
(male)

bien HB User

Starting about 10 years ago, I would have severe allergies (developing into severe bronchitis and pneumonia almost every year) to blooming junipers in March. Took allergy shots for about 3 years and now all that I have to do is take a single Zertec tablet once a day starting about February 15th until about April 1st and I am clear the rest of the year without medicine.

I believe that had I stuck it out for another year or two, I wouldnít even have to take any allergy meds.

Iíve heard that allergy serum can be self-administered orally in the UK (?), donít know if that is stateside, yet. If so, it would be a tremendous improvement over taking time each week to go get those shots. I know that Iíd take them longer if I could self-administer.

They are a pain, but they work. Good luck!

Old 04-23-2010, 09:54 AM   #5
(female)

tynkergirl HB User

I have heard they work wonders for a lot of people. They arent a cure-all, but they help.
I started mine, it was 3 viles, about 2 months for each vile. I had SEVERE allergies, and anaphylactic reactions. When they gave me my allergy test, they stopped halfway through, becasue the reaction was too bad.
I got through the first vile fine, and hadnt had reactions, sniffles or anything, and i felt great for the first time in a long time. And i live in a high allergy, windy place. I cant move, becasue im in the military. But like i said, i was feeling great. WHen I started my second vile, about 8 hours after the shot i would develop a migraine, and it would stay until the end of the next day. I couldnt think, open my eyes, i was sooo tired, falling asleep everywhere. Then the day after, i would be backk to normal. And this happened, after every shot, i took 3 from that vile before i stopped them. I went to my doctor and he said that has never happened that he knows of. He talked to some people wilford hall, and a few other qualified people from different states.
He then told me i couldn't do the shots anymore. Becasue I have anaphylactic reactions, my brain was reacting. WHen you get an anaphylactic reaction, your organ strain, tense, or sometimes shut down. THe most common is the throat/tongue area, or the lungs. It is also know to shut down the liver or kidneys. He said My brain was tensing and thats why it took 8 hours to start, and I felt weak and tired. He said if i continued, i would surely die. and in those words, hes not very sensitive.
Just thought id let you in on my experience. I am a very rare case, but i know if it were my son (I have a 4-year old) I would want all the information, and all the possible effects.
Like I said earlier, these shots have an extremely high affective rate, and change the lives of a lot of people with allergies, but you should know, as with anything else, they have some failure rates, so look into all the details.

Good Luck, and I hope everything works out.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:21 AM   #6
(female)

Katgirl13 HB User

I was counting on these shots, but 5 months into them (and I wasn't even getting shots for everything I was allergic to yet!), I had severe anaphylactic shock and ended up in the emergency room. I was off work for three days, and it started a horrible cycle of vertigo "flare ups" that went on for months. I stopped the shots. I am still upset that I couldn't continue them, because I was desperate for something to help my allergies.

I wish that the doctors/nurses where I got the shots had listened to me when I told them that I tend to be a VERY SENSITIVE person when it comes to pretty much everything! I think that if they had increased my doses more slowly than the average person perhaps it wouldn't have happened.

The scary thing is that it happend 5 months into treatment (and they hadn't even started me on grass/trees yet!), and when I asked why it would suddenly happen, their only response was that it can happen anytime during treatment for no particular reason whatsoever. Not very comforting.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:16 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

Are you in the hands of a GOOD allergist? If you need those injections, please do not stop them because they have been a life saver for me. A dr. misdiagnosed me and took me off them and has cost me close to three years of my life.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:14 PM   #8
(male)

mattsmith HB User

Does anyone know where is a good place to have allergy shot therapy? I live in bournemouth and my doctor says it is no longer available on the NHS, I have a severe dust mite allergy which causes asthma, rhinitus and continual streaming of the eys.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:54 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

Did you try to Google allergists in your area?

Closed Thread