It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2010, 08:55 PM   #1
(female)

aussiesue HB User
Red face Skin gets hot and rash appears after eating sometimes

Hi, I'm hoping there's someone else out there with my symptoms as I cannot get any answers from doctors or allergists. I have had the ***** test and am allergic to nothing.
Somedays after eating, and it could be anything - chicken/salad swich, meat pie, sausage.. my skin breaks out in a horrible blotchy rash. This happens within 5 minutes and lasts about an hour. My face and chest get red, hot, itchy, and blotchy. Also my palms go red and itchy, and also inside my ears and in the groin region as well. It's so frustrating and incredibly embarrasing if I'm out or at work. I cannot pinpoint the food as it varies. I am beginning to think it depends on my mood - usually happens if I'm a bit run down. Anyone else get this??

Old 05-31-2010, 04:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User
Re: Skin gets hot and rash appears after eating sometimes

Have you tried taking an antihistamine before eating (say Zyrtec 10mg once a day) to see if this prevents the problem?

Last edited by jonnstar; 05-31-2010 at 04:16 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2010, 09:36 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I also sometimes get a red, hot, rashy face for a few minutes to couple hours after eating. I do NOT think it's an allergy, because it doesn't seem to be tied to any particular foods, and because I do have a food allergy and that causes my lips to swell also.

I've recently developed a suspicion that it's more likely to happen after eating high-salt foods, so I'm trying to avoid high-salt meals, especially in the evening.

A few years back there was a thread here in which several other people also claimed to experience this weird problem. We didn't come up with any answers then either. So, not sure how much help this is really, but you are not alone.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:03 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Possibly related to sulfites?

Old 06-27-2010, 04:00 AM   #5
(female)

aussiesue HB User

Thanks guys, that helps me heaps. How do I find out if it's sulphites? the high salt food makes a lot of sense..

Old 06-27-2010, 05:03 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

You'd have to check every product to see if it contains sulfites. Red wine is one. Lots of processed foods do as well as salad bars - it's a preservative. Some foods produce it naturally - like red wine. In others, it's an additive.

Closed Thread