It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2010, 06:43 AM   #1
(female)

caribbeananne HB User
Is Claritin D safe for everyday, long term?

My husband been snoring off and on for years now and a few weeks ago, due to an ear issue, he took Sudafed before bed. It was the first night in ages that he did not snore one bit. I suspected for a while that he had some allergy issues because I could hear the congestion, but he always said he didn't... I bought some Claritin D since it has an antihistamine and decongestant and his snoring has been reduced by about 95% and we are both sleeping great. He hasn't had any side effects, but I wonder if it is safe to take Claritin D long term or if there are any good alternatives to Claritin D?

Old 08-10-2010, 07:38 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Is Claritin D safe for everyday, long term?

I would be concerned about taking a decongestant daily but not concerned about the antihistamine. Has he tried just the antihistamine without the decongestant? Long term daily decongestant use is not good. However,the regular claritin can be taken for years without any issues. The cheapest and easiest thing to take would be a generic benedryl. It's the PM in Tylenol PM so it's a perfectly safe antihistamine to take regularly but it will make you drowsy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2010, 05:05 AM   #3
(female)

caribbeananne HB User
Re: Is Claritin D safe for everyday, long term?

Thanks for the reply. We will try the antihistamine on it's own. Thanks for the the advice.

Closed Thread