It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2010, 09:38 PM   #1
(male)

Ghostdivision HB User
Allergic to my pillow?

I am really confused. I have recently been battling bouts of either allergic or bacterial conjunctivitus in my eye. Not sure if I can have both. Im taking an antibiotic eye drop for bacterial conjunctivitus, seems to help during the day. But upon waking my eyes are burning and sinuses are stuffed up.

Today I tried a hypoallergenic pillow and i woke up with less burning eyes and much less sinus congestion.

So it gets stranger i was just allergy tested for dust mites among other things using a pin ***** test, and she thought at the begining i was showing a sign of an allergy to dust but alas nothing she said.

Can anyone offer an ideas on this? I thought maybe my pillow cover was dirty or something so i have been washing it regularly and even put it over my new hypallergenic pillow and noticed no difference with the pillow cover. It was only when i laid on my cotton pillow. My down pillow also bothered me but alot less. WHile the hypoallergenic pillow worked the best. No burning eyes or sinus issues.

What could I be allergic to or anything im not thinking of? This has been a huge problem in my life so I would love some suggestions.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:11 PM   #2
(female)

shipscook1 HB User
Re: Allergic to my pillow?

Are you using a different detergent in laundry or those silly dryer sheets?? I have to be careful, linen that have been dried with those sheets will give me a rash and breathing problems,
Nan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2010, 04:21 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

You might try a benedryl at bedtime to see if that helps.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:17 AM   #4
(male)

Ghostdivision HB User

Just two general question if anyone can answer it would be greatly appreciated.

1. Is it possible things can irritate me without being allergic to it. For instance I had a roommate that used axe spray and hairspray and I always sneezed around the mist and would get congested and my eyes would burn. But is that an allergy or just irritating chemicals since there is so much bad stuff and chemicals in hairspray and such. The detergent made me think of this. My eyes dont water and I dont have any rash or hives on my skin? My eyes do burn and i do get congested.

2. Antihistimanes do help my nose, but i have a chronic sinus infection, would antihistimanes help my nose anyway even if i did not have allergies, or the fact that it helps my nose does that mean I have allergies? I always assumed anthistimanes just cleared sinuses up like a decongestant wether i have allergies or not.

Last edited by Ghostdivision; 09-22-2010 at 08:20 AM.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:55 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

1) Yes, there are such things as sensitivities which are not true allergies. Chemicals are the main culprits. I am sensitive to aspartame (fake sugar) but it is not a true allergy.
Same for chlorine, propellants, etc.
2)Antihistamines and decongestants are not the same thing though an antihistamine may contain a decongestant. And if the antihistamine helps, why not take it???

Old 09-22-2010, 01:24 PM   #6
(male)

Ghostdivision HB User

When antihistimanes wear off they make my sinuses worse. I tend to believe my sinus infection is from long term use of decongestants and antihistimanes. When you come off of it then you cant breathe properly.

Antihistimanes also make you tired, dry out your eyes, there are alot of side effects, i also dont think its a good idea to take it continuously.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:34 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Antihistamines on their own typically do not dry you out...decongestants do that. And of course, if you quit taking your allergy meds, you are going to have allergy symtoms. Some people take them all their lives with no problems.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:33 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tesss HB User

I find antihistamines dry me out too - you aren't alone Ghostdivision. Antihistamines don't stop the reaction happening, it just dries out the phlegm. I now take singulair which stops the reaction in the lungs, which may not help you much either. I have found that treating food allergies (for me it was fructose) helps me a lot and avoiding milk really has made a huge difference to what was a constant and frustrating problem.

Closed Thread