It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2010, 04:08 PM   #1
(female)

azlekk HB User
really annoying allergies

I hope someone might be able to give me some feedback. I have had allergies all my life. shots as a kid and then adult years allergies pills cetirizine....
This year they have been the worst ever. I believe I have developed asthma which I have never had before. I did my regular lung test and everything is normal and now I will do the methocholine test. It seems to happen at night except the past week and now its happening in the day. I take my allergy pill and usually I'm OK for 1.5 days and now I am having asthma symptoms in the day even if I've taken my allergy pill. I have hypo allergenic mattress covers, pillow covers, I don't use dryer sheets anymore I dust and vacuum (not a hepa filter vacuum) and I have an air purifier. My allergy test came positive for trees and weeds. I don't know why its getting worse maybe because its September? I have to wait to go to my dr and in the meantime I use Ventolin and after I use it everything is fine. Maybe its something I'm eating as well? What else can I try and eliminate? I dont know what to do. I even inquired about mold in the building but there is def. no mold. Could it be in my house or is all this from environmental allergies?
I have post nasal drip...could the asthma be caused by my nasal allergies or is it breathing in the allergen or a bit of both? I have a lot of mucous in my lungs when I have an asthma attack ( i think it is)

Last edited by azlekk; 09-22-2010 at 04:19 PM. Reason: adding something

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2010, 04:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User
Re: really annoying allergies

I suffered severe allergies for years that I was told was my cats and pollen.

Turned out I was allergic to dairy. After 9 years I found this out, now I can go outside and be around cats with no problem.

I'd check to see if you have food allergies. Generally this requires you to eliminate all potential allergens from your diet and then slowly add foods back in and see if you react. My personal symptoms were hives and phlegm in my throat that was constantly present and made me feel like I was choking. These went away after I stopped eating/drinking dairy products.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:12 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Doctors believe that breathing the pollen directly and post-nasal drip may both play a role in allergic asthma. Possibly a decongestant (like Sudafed) could improve your situation.

Definitely, this is a bad month for someone allergic to weeds and grass (like me!) After the first frost, you should be MUCH better.

You may need a daily controller medicine for the asthma. I'm doing much better since I started on Symbicort, for example. Also, you should minimize time spent outside or near open windows, and shower before bed and keep your polleny clothes outside the bedroom. Sleeping in a very low-pollen place can make it much easier for your body to deal with pollen in the day time.

Eventually, you may benefit from allergy shots, but that's a long-term solution.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:17 AM   #4
(female)

azlekk HB User

thanks for your feedback. I need to start keeping the pollen outside. I will be making sure of this. I will try a decongestant and see what happens and then if its better than it could be the postnasal drip as well. Thanks for your feedback both of you

Old 09-23-2010, 11:01 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User

Do you run a HEPA filter in your house? At the very minimum you should run one 24/7 in your bedroom. That'll keep the pollen down to a minimum and at least give your body a break from allergens 8 hours a day (provided the allergens are external and not something you eat or drink). That can be helpful because the bodies response to allergens gets stronger through more exposure, so giving your body a break might reduce your response when you are exposed.

Last edited by EagleRiverDee; 09-23-2010 at 11:02 AM.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:29 AM   #6
(female)

azlekk HB User

yup. I have an ionizer with a hepa filter and carbon filter. I do sleep with the window open though. It gets too stuffy with it closed. It was better yesterday. I showered before bed and I mopped the floor with water and vinegar, changed pillow cases and sheets and I didn't need to use my inhaler. Maybe that's it. I will be extra careful these days and if it helps I know its just environment.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:31 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by azlekk View Post
yup. I have an ionizer with a hepa filter and carbon filter. I do sleep with the window open though. It gets too stuffy with it closed. It was better yesterday. I showered before bed and I mopped the floor with water and vinegar, changed pillow cases and sheets and I didn't need to use my inhaler. Maybe that's it. I will be extra careful these days and if it helps I know its just environment.
You might want to ditch the ionizer if it's the type that makes Ozone. Ozone can actually trigger asthma attacks.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:14 PM   #8
(female)

azlekk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
You might want to ditch the ionizer if it's the type that makes Ozone. Ozone can actually trigger asthma attacks.
apparently it's the type that doesnt make ozone.

generate less than 0.001 ppm of ozone
its the sharp one....

Closed Thread