It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2010, 04:23 PM   #1
(female)

werewolfgirl HB User
Unhappy Help! Chronic sinus infections for 10+ years, food alergy?

I've had cronic sinus infections since high school. 10 years ago, I had an allergy panel done and a scan of my sinuses. The doctors at the time told me i was allergic to dog dander and that was it.

My immune system is incredibly touchy. I get sick very easily with either, bronchitis or sinusitis. I've even had strep throat twice within 2 months. When I get sick it often lasts for at least a month. I've gotten blood tests done for immune disorders, as well as thyroid problems. Everything always comes out clean, except a minor iron deficiency when I was vegetarian.
in the last several years my sinuses have gotten worse. If they aren't throbbing, then my nose is leaking. There is no dry period except when my nose is to stuffed up to blow. I have currently had the same sinus 'infection' since July. The sinus pressure gets a little better and my nose starts running, then it clogs up again. I've been to the doctor at least 6-7 times this year for it. The last time i went, the doc said she thought i wasn't actually getting bacterial infections, it was more the case that my sinuses were inflamed.
they've given me several different nasal sprays as well as antibiotics. nothing has helped.

Last year i decided to go gluten-free just to try it. I found after a month or so, my sinuses felt better than they had been in years. I wen't back to eating wheat and slowly my sinuses have gotten worse and worse. I quit eating what again and haven't eaten it for several weeks now. I'm thinking i may be allergic to dairy too and who knows what else. When I eat wheat it makes my stomach hurt too, so I'm pretty positive thats part of the problem.

My sinuses are absolutely killing me! I cannot remember what it felt like to not have sinus pressure. I haven't had a good nights sleep in months. I'm about ready to drill a hole in the side of my face. I've tried benadryll, claritin, zyrtec, mucinex. I can use the netti pot because it wont go through.

so I guess i have a few questions.
Can allergies develop over time with age and get worse? Or is it because I was allergic to dairy and wheat all a long and eating it over years has made my health and the allergies worse?

I've always had problems with milk and ice cream, but cheese and yogurt used to be fine. Now those make my nose, head and stomach hurt as well.
Is the dairy allergy getting worse too?

I'm 28 and I'm constantly sick and tired. I'm thin and active and i eat really well. I'm at whits end here and I currently am with out health insurance like so many americans.

I welcome any advice, stories, or information.

thankyou!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2010, 09:14 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Help! Chronic sinus infections for 10+ years, food alergy?

I developed my allergies as an adult and continue to develop new ones almost yearly. I became used to getting about 4 sinus infections per year that lasted about 8 weeks each (basically I continually had sinus problems.

Have you had any allergy testing recently? If not, it might be worth looking into.

Have you ever thought you might have acid reflux as well? I have "silent" reflux that is pretty severe. I ended up having surgery for it in 2008. Since then, I've only had 2 sinus infections. Turns out, that in addition to all my allergy/sinus/asthma/PND issues, my acid was coming up into my sinuses in a gaseous form. I don't have any heartburn or "typical" acid symptoms. Instead, I end up with a chronic cough. For years, they attributed the cough to the allergy/sinus problems. I had acid reflux and didn't know it for a long time. Might be something worth considering.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:38 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Try taking Sudafed 12 Hour (120mg pseudoephedrine) every 12 hours.

Once a day, put a spray of Afrin into each nostril, then use a neti pot (1 cup of warm, freshly boiled water, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon baking soda)

Do this every day for a week

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 01-30-2011, 09:49 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

I was told by my allergist that one can get hooked on Afrin!

Old 01-30-2011, 09:50 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

Where can I buy Clear Ease and does it really help with vasomotor rhinitis and allergies to the outdoors?

Old 02-03-2011, 11:53 AM   #6
(female)

Specialkt007 HB User

I had all the same problems you did... for year i was sick.... last year I was on med from dec-May including allergy sinus asthma Bronchitis and to top it all off Pneumonia. I went Gluten Free in April and have yet to get sick this year.. It sounds weird but it is all related to Gluten I am to the point I dont even take my zertec during winter. about the dariy thing alot of people that give up gluten also have to give up dariy. I though i was going to have to but turnded out i was really being sick by COKE products that have trace amounts of Gluten in them... hope you are feeling better let me know if you have any questions

Old 02-03-2011, 05:42 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by danabarb View Post
I was told by my allergist that one can get hooked on Afrin!
Your allergist is correct. You can become "addicted to Afrin after just 4-5 days of continuous use. It's not wise to use it for more than 2-3 consecutive days.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:42 AM   #8
(male)

allerman HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcsjr View Post
Your allergist is correct. You can become "addicted to Afrin after just 4-5 days of continuous use. It's not wise to use it for more than 2-3 consecutive days.
But then you still have your allergies. I found < edited > sublingual allergy drops to be amazing and they took my allergies away. No sinus problems since there is no more allergy, therefore no need for Afrin.@

Last edited by hb-mod; 02-04-2011 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Please do not post unapproved website links- Posting Policy. (Some "Approved" websites in "Resources" tab- bottom screen)

Old 02-04-2011, 08:33 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allerman View Post
But then you still have your allergies. I found < edited > sublingual allergy drops to be amazing and they took my allergies away. No sinus problems since there is no more allergy, therefore no need for Afrin.@
What is the name of the sublingual drops that you have been taking?

Old 04-09-2011, 08:49 AM   #10
(male)

GoBucks1234 HB User

Dear werewolfgirl, here is my list of things to do fix your sinuses.

1) What does your home smell like? Make sure your home smells clean and fresh like a nice hospital or museum. (no scented candles,etc.) You must make sure you have no moisture leaks in your home anywhere. Inspect outside for any allergans that may be coming in through your air intake.

2) Buy the best air filter you can and stick it in your bedroom. I spent $900 on mine, worth every penny, and wish I did it sooner. Your health is the most important thing and once your feeling better you will easily make back all that money spent.

3) clean all sheets, pillows, bedding regularly. Up to 90% of people have allergies to dust mites.

4) Get a cat scan to make sure your sinuses appear clear. You may have polyps or something that prevents the sinus from draining. (A clear cat scan does not mean you don't have an infection irrespective of what any doctor tells you)

5) Moisten the sinuses using sinus rinses and humidifiers (read online). It took me 7 months of sinus rinsing until I could really begin to clear out my infection.

6) Dietary Changes (you are already doing this). Cut out wheat, dairy very good idea.

7) Take a mucolytic agent to thin the mucous.

8) Once your sinuses begin draining and things are clearing up, you should be able to "sense" the infection. It does not mean pain or major pressure or anything, you will just know you have an infection. Try A round of good antibiotics (i.e. skip the penicillin, you need something stronger). Do not do this until you think you are on the road to recovery, otherwise you will make things worse.

9) Read online about alternative treatments for sinus infections and keep trying stuff.

If you are feeling sick, sinuses seem clogged, I believe you have an infection. The cat scan may be clear even with an infection and mucous may be clear as well but probably thick. Staph likes to sit up there and produce endotoxins (A, B, C and D) causing an inflammatory response which creates a cycle of clogged sinuses, bacteria growth, and more toxins. So you need to remove any allergans that cause inflammation, kill the bacteria, and rinse out the toxins that get trapped in the mucous. The staph toxins are what make you feel so tired, drained and exhausted.

Hope this helps and you start feeling better soon. It will be a rollercoaster, some days better some days worse. You will need to evaluate over months not days.

Closed Thread