It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2010, 06:21 PM   #1
(female)

cmasse HB User
Food Allergy

I was eating a pasta salad on Saturday and I got an Allergic reaction. I broke out in an itchy rash on my arm and spread to my neck and chest. I then had heart palpitations. I took Benadryl and then everything stopped. On Sunday, I tried it again thinking I may have gotten the rash from somewhere else, and I still broke out in an itchy rash that spread after eating the pasta salad. I took the Benadryl again and it stopped. But Sunday night, I noticed my neck swelled a little and it is still a little swollen today (Monday). I am also noticing that whenever I drink or eat anything, it is a little hard to swallow. Should I take the Benadryl again? Can a food allergy last this long and cause swelling of my neck and cause more itching in the morning on Monday? Cause I stopped taking Benadryl Sunday after I stopped itching. Do you think getting an Allergic reaction again the second time increased the symptoms?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Cassie

Old 11-29-2010, 07:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Food Allergy

Yes, it can take days for the reaction to completely go away. More Benadryl will probably help, but if it's not gone in the morning, I'd call a doctor.

More importantly, do you have any idea what ingredient in the salad caused the reaction?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2010, 07:58 PM   #3
(female)

cmasse HB User

Thank you for replying. My neck did swell a little like I said in my first post, but could that also be from the Allergic reaction I had? So, Allergic reactions can last a few days? I have the ingredients listed from the pasta salad. I have no idea which ingredients I am allergic to. But on Sat and Sun after I ate the pasta salad I did break out an a very itch rash both days and it spread and on Sun night I noticed my neck is a little swollen and still is. It is hard sometimes to swallow food and liquids. The Benadryl did help both days and I will start taking it again.

Cassie

Old 11-30-2010, 04:55 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Yup, your neck can swell from an allergic reaction.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:28 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

You might want to go thru the list of ingredients and see which ones you've never had before. They'd be the first place to start to start eliminating.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:43 PM   #6
(female)

cmasse HB User

Thank you for replying. My neck is still swollen from my food allergy over a week ago. My glands are also swollen and I itch still at times. I do take Benadryl, but not every four hours like it says cause it makes me so tired. Is it possible that food allergies can last a while if not treated with the proper medication? Should I call my dr?

Cassie

Old 12-07-2010, 04:41 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Over a week, yes, call the doctor. There are other things that can be done to reduce the swelling.

Closed Thread