It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2011, 12:19 PM   #1
(female)

hawk1 HB User
Is there a connection between allergic reactions and high white blood cell counts?

I had a severe reaction to overexposure to air fresheners and candles and when I went to the doctor, they performed blood work and said my condition was critical due to my white blood cell count was in the 30's. They performed a myriad of tests and still have not found the cause for this; however, when I was forced to quit my job and was away from the chemical irritants from these products for a couple of months, my white blood cell count came down to 12. Is there any connection between the two? Has anyone else had this problem or has any experience with this? Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2011, 10:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User
Re: Is there a connection between allergic reactions and high white blood cell counts

I am so sorry you have had to go through this. I know alot of people are allergic to chemicals and house hold things. I am know I am too. I have to be real careful. My daughter was cleaning with bleach last night and I could feel my lungs getting tight. It was just awful and scary. I told her that bleach isn't necessarily the best thing to clean with. I try to buy natural products. I bet you have to be careful around the air freshners and candles, I have to take an allergy pill if I am around that stuff too. I have no idea about the white blood cell count but I am sure anything is possible with an allergic reaction. Take care and be careful!

The Following User Says Thank You to TEdds83 For This Useful Post:
hawk1 (01-11-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2011, 08:45 AM   #3
(female)

hawk1 HB User
Re: Is there a connection between allergic reactions and high white blood cell counts

Thank you for your input. Unfortunately, my overexposure was in the workplace and intentional from a co-worker because she was aware of the reactions I was having to both and would not remove either until the company made her remove them. Even after they were removed, I still had reactions in the office and I know that she was still using both in her home and the chemicals were brought in to the office in her clothes because I could not go near her desk without having a severe reaction and she would place her personal items as close to my desk as possible. I am 55 years old and have never had any sensitivities or allergies but because of this, I will have to live with it the rest of my life. Every time I go out in public, I will have a reaction if something has been sprayed or if I get around alot of people with fragrance. Thanks again for responding!

Old 01-03-2011, 09:11 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Wow Hawk1 I am so sorry! This co worker is evil for doing that. I am appauled! This is just maddening and so wrong. I wish there was some action you could take. No matter what just take care of you. Youdr health is the number one thing. I hope you don't have to leave. They are the one would should have to. Keep us posted. Take care!

The Following User Says Thank You to TEdds83 For This Useful Post:
hawk1 (01-11-2011)
Old 01-03-2011, 09:26 AM   #5
(female)

hawk1 HB User

FYI: I was forced to resign from my position because I told them that my body could not take any more and the medications were no longer working and asked to work from another office and was refused. Unemployment denied me benefits stating that I quit due to personal reasons, not work connected reasons. I am in the process of appealing that decision. Work Comp benefits were denied because I could not name a specific chemical I was having a reaction to and I have also appealed that decision and have a work comp hearing the end of this month. I will have health problems for the rest of my life due to the actions of my co-worker and I will not drop the matter. Wish me luck!

Old 01-10-2011, 02:56 AM   #6
(male)

Clenbut HB User

Hi,
yes their is a definite connection with the allergic reactions and white blood cells.White blood cells are the main allergy causing cells of the body,they show a defensive mechanism for mking the body free from any type of pathogens.Fever is also a type allergic response to the pathogens.

The Following User Says Thank You to Clenbut For This Useful Post:
hawk1 (01-11-2011)
Old 01-11-2011, 06:57 AM   #7
(female)

hawk1 HB User

Thank you for your information. The more research I read, and with your information, the more convinced I am that the chemicals I was exposed to is the cause for the high count. The oncologist treating my case let me know that he does not have any experience with chemically related health complications and tries to tell me that it is due to my smoking. I am 55 years old and have smoked all of my life and have never before had this high count of WBC's until the repeated daily exposure to Febreeze air freshener and the synergistic effects when the candle was brought in. I have also been corresponding with Mr. Gene Sperling out of California who is very experienced with MCS and has the credentials to back up what he is telling me and he states the same thing. He is one of the experts listed in allexperts.com and has been a big help to me. If anyone has any questions about environmental allergies, please go to allexperts.com (allergies). Thank you again for your response and wish me luck with my unemployment and work comp. I don't believe the State of Georgia, unemployment or work comp, has dealt with many MCS cases and I am hoping that my case will also help others who has been exposed to so many chemicals in these products in so little time through no fault of their own.

Closed Thread