It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2011, 12:08 PM   #1
(female)

artsneltrs HB User
Hives in abrasions, scratches and blisters

Howdy,

A few years ago, I tripped in my basement, stuck my arm out to catch myself and broke my elbow. I also bruised my hand and scraped my knee. Yes, I am clumsy.

The scrape on my knee was about 2 inches in diameter. It took forever to heal up as it kept weeping clear liquid and itched and would get hives all around the edge. It would get a thick scab but would still weep and itch and I'd scratch all around it and then the scab would fall off and it would do the whole thing over again. It took about a month or so for this to finally heal.

Ever since that day, any abrasion, scratch or blister does the exact same thing. Right now I have a cat scratch on my hand (from a cat tooth) and of course it got hives all along the length of it and itches like mad.

Historical info: I had a severe reaction to Aleve that included hives, facial and mouth swelling and disorientation (happened in my sleep, I was very, very confused) and I've been known to get hives from random other unknown things and rosacea if my face gets hot or cold or dry skin. I take levothyroxine 100 mcg (which I've been taking forever way before I broke my elbow) and Cymbalta 30 mg/day since December.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:34 AM   #2
(female)

Kendra01 HB UserKendra01 HB User
Re: Hives in abrasions, scratches and blisters

I have something similar to yours and I also take Levothyroxine. Hmmmm.

Mine started out like bites. I'm not sure what kind. I think fleas, even though I don't have animals inside. I have turned the house upside down, it's not bedbugs or spiders. It's just a hole, not raised up. Anyway, time passes and the place keeps itching and bleeds when I scratch it. I had about 5 of them. I still have traces of 2 from last July! They still itch a little and actually are sore when pressed upon deep into the tissue. They do not appear to be infected.

I am quite sensitive and when I scratch them even a little bit it looks like a tiger got onto me. Does yours react that way?

Have you seen an allergist or dermotologist? I'm not sure which is best to see first. The worst one on my arm shows no indication of going away. It's been there since Thanksgiving. What's going on? I've done tones on research on-line and can't figure it out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2011, 04:58 PM   #3
(female)

artsneltrs HB User

My sister was diagnosed with granuloma annulare, she also takes levothyroxine. I have not seen a dermatologist, I've just asked my doctors about it (I've never gone to the doctor about it when it was happening) and they are puzzled with no suggestions. My most recent cat scratch kept getting hives in it and weeping so I scrubbed the scab off with soap and water and a terry cloth rag and put cortisone ointment directly on it and that seemed to help. It feels better now after about three days of doing this. I have no idea whats going on, the thing on my knee took for-ev-er to heal.

My sister, who also takes thyroid meds (I think she takes the actual synthroid) was diagnosed with granuloma annulare which itch her like mad (she also gets hives, big time, and has actually had Steven Johnson's syndrome from Bactrim) and she gets periodic cortisone injections in the individual spots. A biopsy is required to confirm that. It's an autoimmune disorder like hives and thyroid degradation. She always looks up her symptoms on the internet and usually comes up with Lupus as a diagnosis...she does not have Lupus.

The Following User Says Thank You to artsneltrs For This Useful Post:
Kendra01 (01-26-2011)
Old 01-26-2011, 07:27 AM   #4
(female)

Thanks for that info. I also have issues with autoimmune disorders. I am a Type I diabetic and have symptoms of other autoimmune conditions, but don't actually have them.

I'm going to look into the things you mentioned.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:35 AM   #5
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsneltrs View Post
My sister was diagnosed with granuloma annulare, she also takes levothyroxine. I have not seen a dermatologist, I've just asked my doctors about it (I've never gone to the doctor about it when it was happening) and they are puzzled with no suggestions. My most recent cat scratch kept getting hives in it and weeping so I scrubbed the scab off with soap and water and a terry cloth rag and put cortisone ointment directly on it and that seemed to help. It feels better now after about three days of doing this. I have no idea whats going on, the thing on my knee took for-ev-er to heal.

My sister, who also takes thyroid meds (I think she takes the actual synthroid) was diagnosed with granuloma annulare which itch her like mad (she also gets hives, big time, and has actually had Steven Johnson's syndrome from Bactrim) and she gets periodic cortisone injections in the individual spots. A biopsy is required to confirm that. It's an autoimmune disorder like hives and thyroid degradation. She always looks up her symptoms on the internet and usually comes up with Lupus as a diagnosis...she does not have Lupus.
Man, what your sister has sounds a lot like what I might have. The problem is that there is not much online about it. I couldn't find any real photo to show the condition. I'll keep looking. The only thing is that I think if I have it, I must have a mild case. Other poster's stories are more severe than mine.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:38 AM   #6
(female)

artsneltrs HB User

You are welcome. Sorry for that poorly constructed reply, I seem to have mentioned my sister at the beginning and in the middle...I rearranged my thoughts, but didn't delete the original typing. I wish you luck as these things are hard to pin down.

The Following User Says Thank You to artsneltrs For This Useful Post:
Kendra01 (01-26-2011)
Old 01-26-2011, 07:42 AM   #7
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsneltrs View Post
You are welcome. Sorry for that poorly constructed reply, I seem to have mentioned my sister at the beginning and in the middle...I rearranged my thoughts, but didn't delete the original typing. I wish you luck as these things are hard to pin down.
You're right about that. I think I have a global problem. My mom has it too. Very odd symptoms for she, my brother and I all to have. I have a doctor (researcher) who is going to look at my case to see if it's genetic. I just have to get my records together for last few years.
In the meantime, I'm having to deal with side effects of some meds I have been prescribed. It's all a little much. LOL

Good luck finding out what your condition is.

Last edited by Kendra01; 01-26-2011 at 07:43 AM.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:17 AM   #8
(female)

Good news. I don't have the granuloma annulare. I found some photos and my condition looks nothing like it. Back to square one. LOL

Closed Thread