It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2011, 07:00 AM   #1
(male)

duck009 HB User
Rashes on face - allergy related? More symptoms.

As long as I can remember (I'm 21) I've had bad sinus congestion year round plus some other allergy symptoms like itchy eyes. And that's ok, I'm used to that.

The last year has been awful. I've started to get red rashes on my face that flake and sometimes itch. They don't go away, they just calm down or get worse. Both of my cheeks have that sandpaperish feel and look. There is another rash below my left eyebrow. And finally the area below my mouth flakes and is red. It used to spread to my mustache area as well. Plus my skin is really dry overall. A dermatologist prescribed me steroid creams which worked on the chin and mustache area but made the cheeks worse. He didn't seem to know what I had. I think I'm done with treatments. I need to find out what's causing it. It's definitely the environment not the genetics.

The rashes seem to get worse after working out and/or showering.

Complete list of possible allergy symptoms:
- congested sinuses (sometimes runny nose)
- itchy eyes
- sleeping issues. Hard to fall asleep and wake up during the night.
- rashes on face that flare up regularly
- brain fog, headaches and mood swings - rarely
- really dry skin (I have to splash some water on in the morning to get rid of the flakiness). I don't use anything else on my face since it seems that whatever I use clogs the pores and causes acne.
- stomach issues..

As much as I have learned about allergies I can conclude:

- it's not a FOOD allergy. I've been on tons of diets including the elimination/hypoallergenic diet. I've always been a healthy eater
- POLLEN allergy is not likely since my symptoms are year round
- DANDER allergies are not likely either.. I do have a dog but I had sinus problems way before that. I did have a cat then though.

- MOLD and DUST MITES - possible since I spend a lot of time indoors.
- FLUORIDE or CHLORINE in water. Very likely? I think the rashes started to appear then I began working out seriously (drinking a lot of tap water). Plus the rashes seem to get worse after I take a shower.

What I also noticed is that cigarette smoke makes my nose congested almost immediately. I do live with smokers but they smoke by the window. Needless to say some of it comes back inside.

I can deal with all the other symptoms except for the rashes and dry skin. How likely is fluoride allergy? My appointment with an allergist is months away. Is there any way I can perform the skin pick tests myself or any other test?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2011, 08:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Rashes on face - allergy related? More symptoms.

I really doubt you are allergic to fluoridated water. Everyone's rashes get worse after showering and exercising, that's because exercise and warm showers increase body temperature and circulation, which increases inflammation in the skin. I recommend cool showers and mild soap, and exercising in a cool room.

If it gets worse at night, it could be you have a problem with the detergent your sheets are washed in. Buy something marked "Free and Clear" for sensitive skin. Absolutely no fabric softener, ever. And wash in hot water to kill dust mites.

You cannot do a skin test on yourself. However, if changing sheets or dusting or sweeping seems to make your symptoms worse, it's likely to be a dust mite allergy.

Finally, yes, you can get face rashes from dust or pollen allergies! It happens to me all the time. The best way to deal with airborne allergies is with a daily antihistamine pill. Zyrtec is a good one to start with. Take it every day. Many people see results within an hour, but if your allergies are already very intense, it may take a week to see results. If it makes you a little drowsy, take it at night. The drowsiness may wear off after a few days.

If Zyrtec doesn't work or has unbearable side effects, we have Claritin, Allegra and many others over the counter. There are even more options by prescription.

So, to sum up:

- Cooler showers
- Fragrance-free sensitive skin soap.
- Sheets washed in HOT water in allergy detergent.
- Antihistamine

Last edited by janewhite1; 03-20-2011 at 08:47 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
duck009 (03-20-2011)
Old 03-20-2011, 01:30 PM   #3
(male)

duck009 HB User

Thanks a lot for the informative reply!

I haven't even thought about the washing products. I remember using the fabric softener a couple of times but I think I got the rashes before that. The other products are labeled "sensitive" and claim to be suitable for people with skin allergies.

I had my hopes up for the fluoride theory. What you said about exercising and water makes sense.

Do you think it's possible that my sinus congestion and itchy eyes are caused by a different allergen than what causes the rashes? Could dry skin be caused by allergies as well?

You said that dust and pollen allergies have given you rashes. Where exactly? Only the face? Mine are only on the face... Also, if I indeed am allergic to dust or pollen, why didn't I have the rashes before? I've always had the sinus issues, but the rashes are something new.

A few years ago I bought an OTC antihistamine product (I think it was Zyrtec) since the doctor I saw about my sinus congestion suggested me to (I didn't have the rashes back then yet). I think I only took it for a day or two and stopped because it made me sleepy (placebo perhaps). As far as I can remember it didn't really work for me. I was really hoping to get rid of this issue by finding the source and avoiding it. I'm even willing to change apartments. If it's something like dust, then I don't think anything can help me.. except for the antihistamines of course.

I have to do some more reading on that, but I remember something about antihistamines wearing down the immune system or something like that. When you said that it can be taken in the evening, would I still feel drowsy in the morning, assuming that side effects never wear off?

Sorry about all the questions!

Last edited by duck009; 03-20-2011 at 01:34 PM.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Dust is impossible to completely avoid of course, but you can reduce your exposure: Minimize clutter in the bedroom, and clean regularly with a damp cloth or static dust collector. Allergen-proof bedding can also help, and an air filter can't hurt.

I would give the Zyrtec another try. Take it only at night, and give it a few days. Even if it makes you drowsy the first time, drowsiness is a side effect that wears off as your body gets used to the medication.

Antihistamines do not weaken the immune system.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:19 PM   #5
(male)

duck009 HB User

So antihistamines aren't actually harmful to the body? Just trying to figure out whether the pros outweigh the cons.

Old 03-20-2011, 03:12 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

No, they aren't. I've been on them for decades. Try a zyrtec - cetirizine over there. It may help you out.

Old 03-20-2011, 03:38 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

While all drugs have their pros and cons, antihistamines are very safe. They do not affect the immune system at all, they just prevent histamine from entering cells and causing symptoms. Histamine is just a side effect of certain actions of the immune system.

Most people have no side effects other than drowsiness or dry mouth, and many people have no side effects at all.

(Oral steroids, which are another treatment sometimes used for severe allergies, do affect the immune system, and they can be dangerous in the long term. That may be the source of your information about immune suppression.)

Old 03-23-2011, 09:44 AM   #8
(male)

tootal2 HB User

That might be a fugus on your skin. try that anti fugus foot stuff on it.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:47 AM   #9
(male)

tootal2 HB User

This looks like a thyroid problem. Has a doctor given you any blood test?

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck009 View Post
As long as I can remember (I'm 21) I've had bad
Complete list of possible allergy symptoms:
- congested sinuses (sometimes runny nose)
- itchy eyes
- sleeping issues. Hard to fall asleep and wake up during the night.
- rashes on face that flare up regularly
- brain fog, headaches and mood swings - rarely
- really dry skin (I have to splash some water on in the morning to get rid of the flakiness). I don't use anything else on my face since it seems that whatever I use clogs the pores and causes acne.
- stomach issues..

As much as I have learned about allergies I can conclude:

there any way I can perform the skin pick tests myself or any other test?

Old 03-23-2011, 09:50 AM   #10
(male)

duck009 HB User

Blood tests have actually shown that I'm a little hypo, but the doc said it's not too big of a deal. Gonna look up face fungus...

Old 03-23-2011, 10:26 AM   #11
(male)

duck009 HB User

I'm wondering about something. Does NOT dealing with allergies slowly destroy your immune system or cause any kind of other damage, other than just being annoying?

Old 03-23-2011, 10:32 AM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Just annoying.....unfortunately. That is if you're talking standard run of the mill allergies....runny nose, watery eyes, sneeze, etc. Others that cause anaphalaxis can be fatal.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:14 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well, chronic sinus allergies could make you more vulnerable to sinus infections, but that's not usually too serious. And of course, if your chest or throat gets tight, that needs treatment. But for most people, allergies are just annoying.

I do not think fungus on your face is likely. Tinea (athelete's foot) tends to grow in damp spots on your body, especially when covered with clothing. The face is usually dry and exposed to air, which would make it very hard for fungus to dig in.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:37 AM   #14
(male)

tootal2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck009 View Post
Blood tests have actually shown that I'm a little hypo, but the doc said it's not too big of a deal. Gonna look up face fungus...
What was the tsh of your blood test? it should be around 2. I think you will feel alot better if you started taking meds for your thyroid. Dont think you can get a fungus on your face. but low thyroid will give you dry skin on your face.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:54 AM   #15
(male)

duck009 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootal2 View Post
What was the tsh of your blood test? it should be around 2. I think you will feel alot better if you started taking meds for your thyroid. Dont think you can get a fungus on your face. but low thyroid will give you dry skin on your face.
I'm not sure what to think of the blood tests. I used to do them in a small clinic and pay myself. I had TSH 7.30 once (normal 03-4.2) yet a few days later it was 5.71 - almost normal. It was a little bit above normal each time though.

When I went to an endocrinologist they did the same tests and I was told nothing was wrong. I insisted that they'd continue doing the tests, so they a thyroid ultrasound - that also showed everything was fine as well. So I dropped it. That was a little more than a year ago.

How likely are my rashes connected to my allergies? I don't see why they would only appear on my face...

Last edited by duck009; 03-24-2011 at 09:55 AM.

Closed Thread