It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2011, 11:52 PM   #1
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Sunburn like facial rash

So, a few minutes after I got out of the shower this morning, my face turned bright red. It looked like I had a bad sunburn. It was sensitive to the touch and a bit itchy.

Last June I had a similar allergic reaction. In that case, the rash didn't surface until after I had gotten ready for the day and put makeup on. I had the same red burned look then, but that rash was more welted than todays. Last summer I was visiting relatives when it happened and I guessed that maybe their cats had gotten up onto the bathroom counter where my makeup brushes were. It was only a guess though.

Today, I have no idea why the rash. The water was just at the warm level and not hot. I used the same products I have for years. I can't find anything different in my environment. I hadn't had anything to eat or put any products on my face other than the Cetaphil I've used since I was 16. The laundry detergent I use for the towels I've used for years with no problems and I haven't had any problems with the clothes I've washed in it.

It took some Allegra and a double dose of dye free liquid gel Benedryl to help get the redness to go away. Crazy thing now is that as that crazy large dose of antihistamines started wearing off, I've been very itchy all over my body. No rashes there, just very itchy.

Also, after the rash last summer I had some permanent discolored spots on my face. From what I can tell now, those spots are worse now.

I know this is some sort of allergic reaction, but it has me baffled.

I wonder where the next reaction will pop up. Especially since I've been weaning myself off of my allergy meds. Since January, I've been off all of my allergy medicines and I've significantly reduced my asthma meds. (So far, so good despite the pollen levels in the 8's, but it has been a cool rainy spring though.) This is a significant thing for me since for many years I took 4 allergy meds and 2 asthma meds daily. I've been on immunotherapy for over 3 1/2 years and on Xolair for allergic asthma for almost a year.

Anyone out there have any thoughts as to what this could be?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2011, 11:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Sunburn like facial rash

Oh, man, I hate face rashes. I've had quite a few. One was caused by hair conditioner (I looked like someone had stuck a hot iron on each cheek) but most of them were actually caused by pollen allergies. It starts as a few little itchy spots on my forehead or near my ears, and it sometimes turns into this whole swollen mess.

Or, it could be from showering bringing histamine up under your skin.

I find that keeping my body temperature down is the best thing for it.

Closed Thread