It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2011, 07:16 AM   #1
(male)

Silas1066 HB User
Bronchitis from Sinuses?

Well I went to the doctor yesterday because I was having crackling/congestion in my lungs off and on during the day, and especially in the morning. I don't smoke, and I'm in good shape.

She suspects that my severe allergies and sinus issues may be causing hte lung issues. I have a lot of PND that makes my throat raw, along with sinus problems in general. She diagnosed me with acute bronchitis, and that is the 2nd time I've had this in 6 weeks

Has anyone here experienced bronchitis-like symptoms due to bad sinus/allergy problems and PND?

Old 04-27-2011, 07:24 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Bronchitis from Sinuses?

Very common. Suggest you try to get your allergies under better control.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2011, 11:31 PM   #3
(female)

PonyLover375 HB UserPonyLover375 HB User

The same thing happened to me.
I had chronic sinusitis, severely. Last summer they started causing me respiratory infections because it drains and some of that drainage goes to the lungs instead of the stomach. I was on avalox at one time and long time antibiotics for like 1-2 months at a time. The antibiotics quit helping me, I got on allergy shots and had endoscopic sinus surgery to correct some structural issue in there which stopped my sinus infections, therefore stopping the lung infections. Hope your doing ok!

Old 05-02-2011, 08:48 AM   #4
(male)

Silas1066 HB User

Yeah, I can literally feel the gunk running down the back of my throat and into my lungs.

In the morning is the worst: I wake up congested in both the lungs and nose

I also have tightness in the chest and some mile shortness of breath (although I am still able to exercise, etc.)

My throat is frequently irritated, and I have a foggy head

The doc gave me a short course of steroids and another antibiotic, but I am holding off in taking that stuff: I can't be taking steroids every time there is an issue. Allergy shots are probably my only hope in getting this under control.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:10 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Have you ever done sinus rinses? Some folks use a NetiPot but my ENT gave me a plastic bottle called Neilmed as I seem to get a lot of sinus issues and like you, sick of antibiotics. The sinus rinse thing really helps.

Felt kind of weird the first few times, but once you get use to it not bad. I don't really have allergies but the slightest thing will set off my sinuses and then it turns into an upper respiratory thing.

Hope you feel better...JJ...

Old 05-02-2011, 10:54 AM   #6
(male)

Silas1066 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
Have you ever done sinus rinses? Some folks use a NetiPot but my ENT gave me a plastic bottle called Neilmed as I seem to get a lot of sinus issues and like you, sick of antibiotics. The sinus rinse thing really helps.

Felt kind of weird the first few times, but once you get use to it not bad. I don't really have allergies but the slightest thing will set off my sinuses and then it turns into an upper respiratory thing.

Hope you feel better...JJ...
I have been using an irrigation machine, but it hasn't helped much in the last couple weeks with this: my lungs are a mess

Old 05-02-2011, 11:28 AM   #7
(female)

ah, your giving me flashbacks from when i had those issues. I really hope you feel better soon and get the answers you need! Allergy shots could probably really help you.

I know this would be a last resort like if shots didn't work or something but you could consider surgery, theres alot of different things they can do. Have they ever done a CT scan of your sinuses? They did a couple of mine and found that my maxillary passage was nearly closed up so they did balloon sinuplasty and turbinate reduction to open mine up and it's done wonders! (i didn't respond to allergy shots but im still on them, they can help alot long term even if you don't have allergies. I only have an allergy to mold but they put me on them anyway)

Old 05-02-2011, 01:41 PM   #8
(male)

Silas1066 HB User

I had sinus surgery in 2004 to correct a deviated septum, etc.

I had a CT Scan last fall that came back pretty good

My allergies are just totally out of control, leading to asthmatic symptoms, etc. The building where I work has very poor air quality, and that is not helping matters

Old 05-02-2011, 02:03 PM   #9
(female)

ohh ok i see, it's really because of allergies. Hopefully you can get shots cause they work great!

Old 05-02-2011, 02:39 PM   #10
(male)

Silas1066 HB User

well go tthe chest x-ray back

it's bronchitis

I'll talk to the allergist tonight and see what he says

Old 05-02-2011, 03:17 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Maybe they can put you on something that will finally knock it out of you.

Feel better...JJ....

Old 05-10-2011, 07:49 AM   #12
(male)

Silas1066 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
Maybe they can put you on something that will finally knock it out of you.

Feel better...JJ....
GP gave me a course of steroids and antibiotics, but my allergist disagreed.

He said the lungs were pretty clear, and didn't see a need for the steroids or antibitoitics. He gave me a nasal steroid (Omnaris) and Singulair to take.

Not much rattling in the lungs now, but they still feel tight, and I can feel gunk running down the back of my throat. I really hope this isn't going to be some kind of chronic, allergy induced lung problem!

Old 05-10-2011, 08:04 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well I guess all you can do is try the stuff and see how it goes. I use the nasal rinse a few times a week although it should be every day. I get that post nasal drip all the time so I try to clear out the sinuses to try and stop it, although I still get it. I have noticed since I do the rinse it hasn't gotten to the point where my sinuses keep getting infected.

Good luck...JJ...

Closed Thread