It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2011, 05:36 AM   #1
(female)

Lucy00 HB User
Allergy testing negative but suffer all symptoms

Hi, so I went to a ent doctor a month ago who dx. me with deviated septum and put me on a steroid nasal spray and suggested I go see a allergist doctor who did all kinds of skin testing on me which showed I wasn't allergic to anything but my breathing test was horrible so gave me dulera and ventoline plus a nasal spray. My question is I have horrible ear congestion with sometimes pain and suffer shortness of breath which he feels is from me having gerd. I take claritin and doesn't help at all and so tired of feeling this way and at night can only sleep on right side as can't catch my breath any other way. So even though the allergy tests show negative I am at a lost of what else to do. I just wonder if this could all be from a deviated septum

Old 05-22-2011, 06:43 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Allergy testing negative but suffer all symptoms

Well, there could be a few things going on.

1) Did you take Claritin anytime within a few days of the test? Or any other antihistamines? That could cause a false negative.

2) It could be you are allergic to something not tested for. (Unless you have a furry pet not tested for, this one is less likely. Most people with ANY allergies will react to at least one of the common allergens, such as cat, dog, dust, mold, or your main local pollens.)

3) You may have non-allergic rhinitis, where your nose reacts to irritants rather than allergens. Possible irritants include pollution, smoke, perfume, or cleaning chemicals. The symptoms are the same, and the steroid nasal spray should still work, but antihistamines don't help.

4) GERD can actually cause sinus problems, too! At night, the acid can get high enough to irritate the sinuses. What are you doing to get that under control?

5) Whatever the causes(s) of your sinus problems, the deviated septum is probably making things worse. If you try lots of other treatments and none of them help, you might want to have surgery to repair it.

Also, have you ever tried a saline rinse for your sinuses? Regardless of why you have sinus problems, rinsing 1-2 times per day can help.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
Lucy00 (05-22-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2011, 08:17 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: Allergy testing negative but suffer all symptoms

What treatment are you on for Gerd because that will make you short of breath. I also have a deviated septum (its quite common) and that will make you short of breath as well especially if your nose is bunged up which can/does happen with a deviated septum. With me sometimes one side of my nose is blocked, then the other side and sometimes both together. Perhaps you would be better off with a Decongestant rather than an Antihistamine. If you can get one that you take by mouth rather than a spray I think you would find that better. Too many sprays up the nose can cause a rebound reaction. Remember ENT are all connected and if one is trouble the other can/will be affected. Take Care, Solofelix.

The Following User Says Thank You to solofelix For This Useful Post:
Lucy00 (05-22-2011)
Closed Thread