It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2011, 11:22 AM   #1
(male)

jjnoahjames HB User
Allergic to Soap. Anyone else have this problem?

I had a weird nose problem my whole life. It drove me nuts it got worst when I was between the ages of 15-lates 20's. I had doctors tell me to keep notes. Well after years of trial an error I found that my problem was that I didn't rinse the soap off my hands or face enough (cause i was always in a hurry). I found I wasn't really allergic to scents. Mostly only soap. Some strong soaps like Dial, or Softsoap will affect me from a room away, my nose will start flaring up and it will feel like something is stuck in my nose and I have to blow out snot, yet sometimes it'c dry. Irish Spring, which is strong, doesn't cause my nose to flare up that much but the strong scent still drives me nuts.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Also I keep reading posts that say, "find out what it is in the soap that is causing the allergy". But I'm not sure wear to start and there isn't much info about soap allergies online.

Last edited by jjnoahjames; 05-22-2011 at 11:23 AM. Reason: add tags

Old 05-22-2011, 01:22 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Allergic to Soap. Anyone else have this problem?

Hi I like the soaps from the natural health food store such as the olive oil soap or pine tar soap. It just has to be kept dry after use to avoid gumming. There are other really nice all natural ingredient soaps such as lavender soap or rose oil soaps. The natural ones seem less likely to leave a rash. Also the it can be used in the sweat areas and private areas and left mostly off of other places if it is really bad. Sometimes there is a chemical in the water itself that can cause rashes. A water distiller might be useful for this problem. Large ones can be obtained if needed.

If enough water is drunk then there is less likely to be a problem with an inner dry nose.

Sometimes too much moisture on the skin or shaving substances can cause rashes. The skin needs to be allowed to dry out after bathing particularly.
One needs to be sure it is really the soap that is the problem so if after changing soap there is still a difficulty perhaps a dermatologist or even eye ear nose and throat doctor can be consulted.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2011, 02:01 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Well, rinsing thoroughly can help. But I am allergic to a lot of soaps and whatnot, and I find the best product for me is Dove Sensitive skin. It's the one in the light green box (regular Dove is the light blue box). My husband and I both have skin allergies and sinus allergies, and I never buy anything else.

I'm sure there are other soaps out there that would be just fine, but I've found something that works for me, and I'm not willing to risk experimenting further.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:39 PM   #4
(female)

lottery loser HB User

I am allergic to cake soap.......................I can use the liquid........with the least smell..............and I have to use warm water with a cold rinse....rinsing really well............and pat dry...........winter is worse for me..................the hand lotions have alcohol in it and that breaks my skin out............

Old 05-23-2011, 04:45 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi oh, yes there is a nice natural liquid castile soap with lavender that can be fairly nice also and only few little drops are needed to wash with. It can be used as a shampoo also.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjb For This Useful Post:
weezytam (06-03-2011)
Old 06-12-2011, 11:05 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

MrsLee HB User

Ah yes, soap allergy. I have this problem. There is a lot more in soap that can cause you problems besides fragrance (though avoiding fragrance is a good start). My dermatologist told me that soap is a common irritant and to avoid using it excessively.

I've recently found out I'm allergic to a bunch of additives, including one called propylene glycol. It's in darn near everything. Some people are allergic to the substance that causes foaming. Of course without allergy testing there is no way to know what it is causing you problems.

Some gentle soaps that I've found I'm able to use are Exederm, Free and Clear and 7th Generation.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:26 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

whitemore55 HB User

Oops i am very sorry. I do not have enough knowledge about this. I am feeling embarrassment. I am sorry please.

Closed Thread

Tags
allergic reaction, allergies, dial, soap, soft soap