It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2011, 04:05 AM   #1
(female)

loveMJ HB User
dust allergy

Hello,
My name is Amy and I just joined today. I am severely allergic to dust and dust mites. I am also allergic to many other things, but dust is my worse one. I break out into hives, get itchy, congested, my eyes burn and sometimes my throat feels like it is closing up on me. I take zyrtec, sudafed, saline spray..etc. I would love to talk to other people about their dust allergy and what they do to help their symptoms.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:31 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: dust allergy

I took allergy shots. Am fine now.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
loveMJ (06-13-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2011, 09:16 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Welcome Amy! I too have a severe dust allergy. I had a REAL bad reaction tonight. I had gotten a dusty box out of my storage and brought it into my apartment. I wasn't thinking. I started sneezing and having trouble breathing. I feel like my chest is so tight. It is really scaring me. I have taken some Benadryl and I hope that it really works here soon.

I was taking allergy shots for 2 years and lost my insurance a few weeks ago. Now I am really messed up. I need to figure out how to afford it. I take all kinds up things like Sudefed, Zyrtec and Benadryl.

How bad are you reactions when you get them? I wish you I could give you better advice. The only thing I can say is the allergy shots would be my best recommendation.

Keep me posted! Good luck!

Old 06-20-2011, 07:16 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveMJ View Post
Hello, My name is Amy and I just joined today. I am severely allergic to dust and dust mites.
Hi Amy. Welcome to the Boards. Sorry we have to meet under these circumstances. Allergies can wreck havoc on our lives.

Quote:
I am also allergic to many other things, but dust is my worse one. I break out into hives, get itchy, congested, my eyes burn and sometimes my throat feels like it is closing up on me.
Dust is one of my worst allergies. I MUST avoid dust. In my case it raises my blood pressure, causes my heart to misfire and jump around; and brings on my Asthma, and makes me feel sick as a dog (my apology to any dogs that may be reading this!).

Because of my dust allergy, we got rid of our wall to wall carpeting and use nice, comfy, washable no-slip throw-rugs instead; and my wife dusts her many keepsakes (mice, owls, birds), when I am not in the room.

Quote:
I take zyrtec, sudafed, saline spray..etc. I would love to talk to other people about their dust allergy and what they do to help their symptoms.
I take synthetic steroids such as Flovent for my Asthma and Fluticasone for my sinuses. These steroids work wonders. They were a great medical breakthrough. They prevent me from having really bad Asthma and Sinus reactions, but I still will get a tight chest and stuffy sinuses depending upon my encounter with Dust and/or other allergens and irritants.

I have tried Acupuncture for my sinus problems, and took allergy shots, and own my own Acupuncture electronic stimulator device and have had some success with my experimental at-home SLIT treatments. My allergies have been under very good control for a long time, due also to my very healthy diet, and due to avoiding known allergens and known irritants.

If you stay away from dust, are your allergies normally under control, with minimal allergic reactions?

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 06-21-2011 at 09:07 AM.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:01 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

How do we clean our homes and apartments to keep the dust out? I need to keep my place as clean as possible. Yesterday I brought a dusty box in from my storage place and opened it to clean a punch bowl and glasses for my daughters baby shower. It didn't take long and my chest became very tight, heart was racing, panic set in...etc...I took Benadryl and settled down a couple hours later.

I have to be so careful with everything in my environment. I have food allergies or shall I say sensativities too. I am trying so hard to get this all figured out and get control of my allergies and body. It takes awhile

I carrry an epi pen, Benadryl, Zyrtec and Sudefed in my purse at ALL times!! I rotate them around as needed.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:36 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Trick is, think plain and simple. No carpets, minimal knickknacks and decorations that can collect dust.

When you need to clean, use either a HEPA vaccuum, a damp cloth, or a static dust collector. (I use the Swiffer dry sweeping product.) Ideally you want someone else to clean, if you must do it yourself, use a mask to protect yourself and wash afterwards.

Keep the humidity down inside your house, to prevent mold and dust mites from growing.

Encase your mattress and pillows in mite-proof covers, and wash bedding in hot water every week.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:18 PM   #7
(male)

ineedmypill HB User

home cleaning works very well..keep everything clean and there would be less chances of an allergy attack.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:05 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the advice!

Closed Thread