It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2011, 02:51 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User
Important question about allergy meds

I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice about allergy meds.
I take 3 different ones. I take sudefed as needed daily for congestion. But as far as an antihistimine I usually take zyrtec but I tend to rotate and take Benadryl instead some days because I am having acute attacks of oral allergies and nasal issues, sneezing etc, the Benadryl is so good to deal with an allergic reaction. I am afraid if I just stay on the zyrtec daily and I have an acute reaction to something that I can't take Benadryl too because I will be doubling up or overdose. Any thoughts on this?? How do any of you deal with treating your allergies with meds. Its a tricky thing.

Any replies are appreciated! Thanks!

Old 08-10-2011, 04:14 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Important question about allergy meds

You should be able to take the benedryl on the same day as a zyrtec. I've taken a zyrtec daily for a number of years and, during that time, took a benedryl every night to help me sleep. No problems. Since you can take 2 zyrtec a day when you have an allergy attack, I see no reason why adding a benedryl, which is shorter acting, would be a problem.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
TEdds83 (08-10-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2011, 07:21 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

WOW that is also so helpful to know. I have been so miserable because I am under medicating. I have suffered by not being on my Zrytec everyday. Thanks again for your help!

Old 08-10-2011, 06:37 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I had a severe allergic skin reaction about an hour after taking Allegra last year. I spoke to the pharmacist who recommended taking 2 Benedryl, even though I'd just taken the allergra. He said it wouldn't be a problem. I discussed this with my doc the next time I saw him and he said the same thing.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:04 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks Mountain! I am so frustrated. My mouth allergy is still not completely gone. I have had to be on Benadryl around the clock. The little bumps come back on the roof of my mouth just as soon as the Benadryl wears off.

To me honest I am scared to eat anything now. I have thrown out all of my fresh fruits and veggies. I am so afraid they are loaded with pollen and birch. My body just freaks out around those things. I stay indoors as much as I can. I am calling my allergist tomorrow and talking to them about my oral and food allergies and getting back on the shots. I will ask about staying on zyrtec and still being able to use Benadryl with an acute attack. Sometimes we need this! I am so tired of suffering. Thanks for your help!

The following user gives a hug of support to TEdds83:
MountainReader (08-10-2011)
Closed Thread