It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2011, 01:01 PM   #1
(male)

daniel06 HB User
Unhappy How long does prednisolone take to work?

Hi,

Over the last year I've had loads of chest infections from colds (my own fault as I tried to come off my inhaler completely) so I had to have singulair and go on my inhalers for my asthma again. I got better but then I had another chest infection. It seemed to go but for the past 5 months or so I haven't had a cold or anything but the blocked nose from my last cold/chest infection never went and i've had really thick post nasal drip and a blocked nose ever since (especially after eating).
Also the post nasal drip is causing my asthma to play up and it's now affecting me going to the gym.

Over the pasts few months I've been to the doctors. Two have told me it's my asthma causing the post nasal drip and increased mucus and another told me it's allergies. One doctor gave me a higher dose of inhaler which didn't work, another doctor gave me Fluticasone Propionate spray along with singulair and cetirizine hydrochloride and I think it helped a tiny bit but not a lot. I'm now on Prednisolone 20mg daily (which I have to take for 10 days) for what the doctor thinks is my asthma, although I'm still convinced it's something to do with my nose, like allergies.
I've been on it for 5 days now and I haven't noticed any real change in my symptoms but I keep getting a bit depressed and feeling really light headed and sleepy which I'm guessing are side affects from the tablets.

Does anyone know how long prednisolone takes to work?
I don't know whether to go to the doctors again or just wait and see what happens but I'm moving for Uni this Saturday coming so I really need something to sort this problem out with fast.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2011, 02:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: How long does prednisolone take to work?

Generally you should see benefit within a week. For asthma, usually within a couple days.

But you say your sinuses get particularly bad after eating. Have you ever considered the possibility of silent reflux?

Old 08-29-2011, 10:34 PM   #3
(female)

Vicky446 HB User

I have pretty bad asthma...my dad has it much worse. For either of us, we notice a change typically withing 24 hours. I like the prednisone tape dose better than a burst dose. Taper starts off with a higher dose and decreases every couple days. Burst is usually the same dose for all the day...mine have typically been 5 days on a burst 10 days on a taper. Feel better soon! Allergies are so lame. Most days I would like to rip out my eyeball they itch so bad!

Old 08-30-2011, 02:27 AM   #4
(male)

daniel06 HB User

Thanks for the quick replys.

I looked u light reflux and I don't think I have that, I think it just gets bad after eating because theres more mucus and stuff in my mouth.
Do you think it would be worth me staying on the prednisolone for a few more days?

I'm just a bit worried about being on it because of the side effects that I'm getting because I don't want to be depressed when I move to uni. If I took it until thursday and it still didn't work and I stopped taking it would the side effects be gone by saturday?

Old 08-30-2011, 03:41 PM   #5
(female)

Vicky446 HB User

I would call your doctor's nurse and ask them. They should be able to get back to you pretty quickly.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:48 AM   #6
(female)

tlynne8 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel06 View Post
Hi,

Over the last year I've had loads of chest infections from colds (my own fault as I tried to come off my inhaler completely) so I had to have singulair and go on my inhalers for my asthma again. I got better but then I had another chest infection. It seemed to go but for the past 5 months or so I haven't had a cold or anything but the blocked nose from my last cold/chest infection never went and i've had really thick post nasal drip and a blocked nose ever since (especially after eating).
Also the post nasal drip is causing my asthma to play up and it's now affecting me going to the gym.

Over the pasts few months I've been to the doctors. Two have told me it's my asthma causing the post nasal drip and increased mucus and another told me it's allergies. One doctor gave me a higher dose of inhaler which didn't work, another doctor gave me Fluticasone Propionate spray along with singulair and cetirizine hydrochloride and I think it helped a tiny bit but not a lot. I'm now on Prednisolone 20mg daily (which I have to take for 10 days) for what the doctor thinks is my asthma, although I'm still convinced it's something to do with my nose, like allergies.
I've been on it for 5 days now and I haven't noticed any real change in my symptoms but I keep getting a bit depressed and feeling really light headed and sleepy which I'm guessing are side affects from the tablets.

Does anyone know how long prednisolone takes to work?
I don't know whether to go to the doctors again or just wait and see what happens but I'm moving for Uni this Saturday coming so I really need something to sort this problem out with fast.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:55 AM   #7
(female)

tlynne8 HB User

How was this issue resolved? I'm going through the exact same thing.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:06 AM   #8
(male)

daniel06 HB User

It wasn't really, I take vitamin c and zinc tablets to stop me getting chest infections which seems to help but I still have the post nasal drip and blocked nose constantly. I've tried loads of different steroid sprays for it now but it doesn't work for me I'll keep trying to get it sorted but atm I just have to deal with it.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:58 PM   #9
(female)

tlynne8 HB User

My asthma/allergy Dr perscribed a antibiotic for what he seems to thnk is really bad sinus infection. If this doesn't work I'm going to have a CT scan. Wish me luck!

Closed Thread