It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2011, 01:55 AM   #1
(male)

rash799 HB User
what type of bed sheet/pillow covers are best for allergy sufferers?

Recently I have been suffering from very itchy eyes, blocked nose, exc3essive sneezing and puffy/swollen cheeks. I have had this problem on and off over the years but it has recently become unbearable. It is worse in the morning which makes me think that it has something to do with my bed therefore I want to change my bed sheet covers, pillow and pillow covers as well.

Can someone please tell me what bed sheet covers/pillow covers and pillows are the best for allergy sufferers?

Thanks

Old 10-12-2011, 04:12 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: what type of bed sheet/pillow covers are best for allergy sufferers?

Have you tried taking antihistamines? Maybe a zyrtec during the day or at least a benedryl at bedtime?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2011, 06:11 AM   #3
(male)

rash799 HB User

Thank you for your advice, I have tried a number of tablets which my doctor prescribed but I would rather not be dependant on tablets if I can help it. I am convinced that my bed has something to do with the problem since the problem is at its worse when I wake up and (being a 'prevention is better than the cure' kind of person) would like to try using different bedsheets/pillows. I just need to some help with which bedsheets/ pillows I should be looking for and which ones I should avoid.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Hi, welcome to the board. I've had allergies all my life, but they started getting worse in the past few years. I went to an allergist and got tested, turns out my worst triggers are dust, mold and outdoor pollen.

I covered my mattress and pillows with dust-mite resistant covers. Bought them from Allergy Buyers Club. I use regular sheets and pillowcases over those, but I wash them in hot water with hypoallergenic laundry detergent every week.

Also, if you have a down comforter, that could be contributing.

Or it could be something else in the bedroom. Luckily I have hardwood floors, so I just keep down the clutter and dust with a damp cloth.

Additionally, I keep the windows closed during pollen season, run a HEPA air filter and have a dehumidifier in the basement to hold down mold. It's a nuisance, but combined with medication, I'm much better.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:22 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I'd try non prescription ones - zyrtec, claritin, etc. And the cause may be something other than dust mites. Could be something else you are near at bedtime - your soap, shampoo, the ones your partner uses, any number of things. Allergy testing would be your first step and then corrective measures based on the results.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:12 AM   #6
(male)

rash799 HB User

I could be completely wrong here but my allergies have gotten much worse compared to to 2 years ago and looking back I noticed that we changed our vacuum cleaner. The old one had a Hepa filter and was 'marketed' as being good for allergies and the new one is just a basic one without a Hepa filter. I could be wrong but this makes me think that the problem could be due to dust.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:17 AM   #7
(male)

rash799 HB User

Hi Jane, you mentioned that you use hypoallergenic laundry detergent, can you get this from normal supermarkets? Will it just say hypoallergenic on the box?

Old 10-13-2011, 04:08 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Tide Free, Dreft are two detergents you could try. I use Tide Free.

Old 10-13-2011, 04:57 AM   #9
(male)

rash799 HB User

Thank you, I will look out for these

Last edited by mod85; 10-14-2011 at 04:33 AM.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:08 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

You can buy Tide that is made for allergy suffers. It is chemical and dye free!! It is GREAT and the only stuff I use and I am VERY, VERY sensitive to everything!

Last edited by mod85; 10-14-2011 at 04:33 AM.

Closed Thread