It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2011, 10:45 AM   #1
(female)

wnorm HB User
Possible allergy to asacol

I was recently diagnosed with collagenous colitis and was prescribed AsacolHD (6 800 mg tabs/day). After a few days, various possible side-effects emerged: more diarrhea, headache, chest pain, shortness of breath,etc. After less than a week on Asacol, I developed flu-like symptoms and chills. My gastroenterologist advised me to stop me to stop the Asacol temporarily. He said that I probably have a virus and should resume again in a day or two.
I followed his advice and resumed taking the full dosage of Asacol for ~2 weeks. I developed overall body itch, swelling of the face, large hives(?) on my head, face, legs, and torso, chills, terrible diarrhea, abdominal pain, etc. At that point, I stopped taking Asacol. I was not able to speak to my doctor. I am, however, scheduled for a follow-up appointment on Oct.24.
I am an atopic individual and have numerous food allergies. However, the Asacol seemed to heighten the allergic and gastrointestinal response to various foods, like cooked fruit, that I normally tolerate in small amounts. It is interesting to note that the hive-like eruptions did not look like regular hives and took ~ 2 weeks to diminish significantly.
I am allergic to latex, nuts and seeds, most foods that have proteins that cross-react with latex, raw fruit, many raw vegetables, many spices, etc.
By Sept.23 (?) I started to develop flu-like symptoms, fever, exhaustian, malaise, bronchitis, etc. On the advice of a friend pulmonologist, I began inhaling Symbicort (2 inhalations, 4 times daily).
I am starting to feel better and decided to restart the Asacol. My allergist is not convinced that what I experienced was an allergic reaction to any of the ingredients of Asacol.
My questions are: How long does it take for a true allergic response to Asacol to exhibit itself. Did Asacol lower my immunity and make me more susceptible to catching the "flu"? Did I infact just have the flu coincidentally at the same time I was starting and then continuing with the Asacol? I started taking the Asacol again yesterday afternoon and so far I don't have any of the symptoms normally associated with an allergic reaction. My wheezing and bronchitis haven't worsened. Any thoughts on this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread