It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2011, 11:18 AM   #1
(female)

Rubycubs HB User
Is it possible to be allergic to starch?

My stomach is playing up. IBS runs in the family, so I presumed I had that. But I find that the more I eat potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, and other grains and starchy foods, the worse my stomach seems to get. I suffer mainly from constipation, and I get diarhea about once a month. I ate mainly wheat-based products yesterday and I ate a jacket potato on Friday and my stomach is really acting up today. I've been to the toilet twice already and can already feel my stomach churning up again. I don't have diarhea or constipation today, my poo is completely normal, but I can't seem to stop going.

A quick list of my symptoms:

Constipation, with diarhea occuring about once a month.
Bloated stomach (at worst, looks like a 4 month pregnancy)
Chronic, smelly wind.
Stomach cramps (typical pain that is associated with constipation)
Pain in my ascending colon (which is a part of the bowels in the right side of the abdomen).
Grumbling stomach.
Constantly craving food (is it odd that I find myself craving bread and cakes a lot?)
Hiccups.
Heartburn.

I also get a blocked nose when eating food, and a cough.

I get headaches a lot and I generally feel tired and unwell. I don't know if this is poor diet or something I'm eating is disagreeing with me. So, back to my question. Could starch be the cuplrit here?

Old 11-20-2011, 02:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Is it possible to be allergic to starch?

I don't think it's likely that you are allergic to all starch foods. Some people are sensitive to gluten (celiac disease) but that should not affect your ability to eat potatoes.

Or, it could be that white starches just don't agree with you.

You could try cutting back on them and seeing if your symptoms improve. There are blood tests to identify celiac disease and specific food allergies, you might want to get that done.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2011, 05:57 PM   #3
(female)

Rubycubs HB User
Re: Is it possible to be allergic to starch?

Thank you for the reply. I'm cutting out all carbohydrates, like wheat and potatoes, and see if I'm feeling better. I'm going to start it tomorrow. I eat a lot of carbs so maybe my body has just had enough. Maybe I've eaten too much over the years.

Closed Thread