It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2011, 06:56 PM   #1
(male)

mrshickadance9 HB User
Claritin/Loratadine & Hair Loss

Hi Everyone,

I've been using Claritin every day/every other day for about a year and a half now. Over the past several months, I've noticed that my hair is thinning rather quickly. Additionally, I've begun to develop a bit of a bald spot on the crown of my head. While I'd normally chalk this up to male pattern baldness, I'm only 25, and I've always had extremely thick hair.

I've read online and heard anecdotally that Claritin can cause hair loss. Has anyone else heard this/had this happen to them?

Thanks!

Old 02-24-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

patrick2011 HB User
Re: Claritin/Loratadine & Hair Loss

Interesting... I also have noticed a thinning of my normally thick hair since I've been taking allergy meds. I take Zyrtec on a daily basis. I'm a 50yo male so I just thought it was natural. --and it still may be but I'd like to know more about this connection. Please let us know if you find anything more. Like will it grow back once you stop taking the meds?

Last edited by patrick2011; 02-24-2012 at 01:19 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2012, 05:14 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I wish that was a side effect! I have extremely thick hair. Have been taking zyrtec for at least 15 years...hasn't done that to me. Since you two are males, it could be genetics as it's more common for males to lose hair.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:10 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

patrick2011 HB User

Yes I did a bit more research and didn't find anything linking hair loss and Zyrtec (Cetirizine). Good to know. Thanks Titchou!

Closed Thread