It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2011, 09:58 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

susie1974 HB Usersusie1974 HB User
Nose Constantly Itchy & Full

I've always had an itchy nose, my whole life. I remember as a kid I would often have a runny nose in the mornings and be sniffing and wiping my nose with the palm of my hand every few minutes. This would fade after a few hours and I'd feel fine by lunch time.

Anyway, for the past 2 years or so, I wake up feeling like my nose has been stuffed with twigs and salt water. It feels as if it is full to the brim with liquid and that I have to sneeze constantly. Whenever I do sneeze (which is about every 5 minutes before I actually get up, when I'm still half asleep just before getting up), it feels like an immense pressure inside my nose, and I hear a loud squelching sound inside. Whichever side of my face is lying on the pillow, that corresponding nostril will run endessly.

Once I get up, the sneezing continues. I blow my nose over and over, and so much discharge comes out, and I feel a bit better for a few minutes but then I sneeze again and it all repeats itself. My nose runs, full of liquid, and incredibly itchy and irritated.

It also doesn't stop after a few hours anymore. All day when I'm at work, I am sniffing and blowing my nose, and sneezing. I sneeze every 10 minutes at least, and each sneeze is incredibly powerful and causes a deluge of liquid to have to be blown out. Every time I sniff, it sounds really thick and gurgly and it actually hurts inside my nose slightly. What I'm blowing out is just pale and fairly clear liquid.

What is wrong with my nose? Is this actually allergies?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2011, 06:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Nose Constantly Itchy & Full

That sounds a lot like allergies to me! Have you ever tried antihistamines, just to see if they help? Zyrtec and Allegra are good options.

An allergist can do skin testing to find out what you are allergic to, and then do allergy shots to reduce your sensitivity.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:30 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

susie1974 HB Usersusie1974 HB User

No, I've never been to see anyone about this.

I used to take something called Phenergan, which is an antihistamine. I took it every night before bed from the age of about 8-10 until I was 25. I stopped taking it then because I found I was unable to sleep at all without it. Just could not sleep. And it made me so groggy in the morning, AND I was still sneezy and sniffly even when taking it.

Oh, and also I forgot to mention, every morning from the time I first wake up until about 30 minutes after being up and about, I cough a lot, and it's quite a chesty, heavy cough. I know it's because stuff from my nose has been running down to my chest all night and I have to cough it out, but this is just another annoyance to do with these nose problems!

Last edited by susie1974; 11-22-2011 at 11:32 PM.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:50 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Phenergan is one of the older options. There are other antihistamines which may work better with fewer side effects.

Closed Thread